Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-29-2007, 08:01 PM

Default mixing into 5.1 - how to & software required?

Thanks to everyone for the assistance on the last post.

I have now managed to discover how to mix in 5.1 within Pro Tools HD - but that just gives 5 mono tracks. How do i get these 5 tracks into something useable (ie: Mastered) & how do i get it onto a DVD that can be recognised by a DVD player?

Obviously normal sound editing software such as Bias Peak or even CD burning software such as Toast wont recognise 5 tracks as 1 file.

Sorry for asking such basic questions but this really all is very new to me.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: mixing into 5.1 - how to & software required?

Hello Frac,
You may import your 6 track master to a DVD authoring software like DVD pro Studio and follow the easy steps in doing do.(just drag drop it). You may also use the quicktime video from your PT(import it) just to make a test dvd HTH
Less is More
Old 04-30-2007, 12:14 AM

If you have A.Pack.app, then you can use that to convert your mono files to an ac3, which is perfect for the DVD format.

Timothy

PS.: Or if you have any other tool, that can output ac3, give it a try.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:42 AM

HI Fracturism
I was following your last post with interest re stereo mixers vs 5.1 mixers. Ive swapped the files like was suggested to you and all is fine in that respect.
Can you explain to me what you did, what you need and exactly how you got from there to " have now managed to discover how to mix in 5.1 within Pro Tools HD "

If I create tracks to say take some stereo files (sfx) and mono files Vo etc, how did you then route these to become part of a stereo mix?. Where is the routing etc done. Where is your surround panner.
Im not currently being asked for surround, but would like to be able to do this when asked.
What adjustments did you need to make to your monitoring

ANY pointers would be much appreciated.

Peter
Old 05-05-2007, 10:29 PM

Hey Peter
Maybe i might have been not explaining myself properly. I should have said "I now understand the process of mixing in surround"! Due to my stereo setup i still havent had the chance to mix in surround, but i believe i have the tools to do it. Basically you need a 5.1 monitor system & a mixer with 6 outs. I have been instructed that 8 outs is more flexible, as you then have 6 outs for the 5.1 setup plus a set of stereo outs for old fashioned stero mixing.
Also, when you install the 'surround mixer' plugin in Pro Tools you will need to have a close look at your hardware outs/routing on your 192 or 96. This should already be setup, but you can play around with it within PT. PT also has all the 'surround panners' etc built in & will allow you to mix down to 6 seperate mono tracks, panning & EQing each one.
I have found a wealth of material on the internet also. Just keep looking - its not easy, but there is some info around.