Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-29-2002, 05:52 AM

Default simple network question

does g4 native gigabit ethernet need special cable, or will the existing 10/100 cat 5 cable stuff work? How long a run can i have without needing a hub or repeater or something? I am setting up a few rooms with about 10 computers, and I would like to just use the built in ethernet, not some fancy av san, as i will be in brazil. simple is way better in this case.

www.tompaul.com
Old 04-29-2002, 05:23 PM

Default Re: simple network question

The typical Cat5 cables are fine. You can do very long runs with these. Id say 100-200ft is the longest I have personally needed to use and has worked fine. You will definitely need a hub if you want to connect more than 2 computers together though. I think the ones from Asante are reasonably priced and work good. The hub is also needed for DSL splitting for all your workstations. I hope this helps you out, Dan.