Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 12-15-2018, 05:09 PM

Default Re: 2018.12 No new features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I mean bug fixes that make it possible for Avid to support new OS
Don’t mean to jump on you but IMHO that would be a given as DAW devs Need to stay current with OS as users buy new computers and sometimes forced to update to get certain apps to work properly. Again no offence Janne

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-15-2018, 05:29 PM

Yea, opinions do vary. In my book supporting a new OS is a feature
Old 12-15-2018, 07:28 PM

No offense taken. I agree, and it's frustrating. But I've also worked in big companies, where the various departments aren't really in sync regarding promises and the reality once you "get under the hood". Maybe if Pro Tools was still a Digidesign product - meaning that the company making it was devoting ALL of their resources to the program - things would be different. I dunno. Given how many bug fixes recently address hardware issues (especially in the big control surfaces) it feels sometimes like the priority is still on monetizing physical product over software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
Why do so many people have excuses for Avid?
I think when a company is making promises and can't keep them, it's simply not right. There can be problems and maybe some things can't be done easily, but that's a wild guess.

(no offense massivekerry)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
No offense taken. I agree, and it's frustrating. But I've also worked in big companies, where the various departments aren't really in sync regarding promises and the reality once you "get under the hood". Maybe if Pro Tools was still a Digidesign product - meaning that the company making it was devoting ALL of their resources to the program - things would be different. I dunno. Given how many bug fixes recently address hardware issues (especially in the big control surfaces) it feels sometimes like the priority is still on monetizing physical product over software.
I can understand that, but when you make a big show with ACA and tell the users, that you are trying hard to be a user driven company, it's very disappointing when only a fraction of the features come true, that have been voted for and have been locked in for development (in a certain timeframe) by Avid.

Cheers
Maik
Old 12-16-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
As far as I remember, Avid promised constant development and compatibility releases (bug fixes) are kind of new features. I'm not defending Avid here, but in my book it is just like that. The #1 feature I'm looking for in the 2019.1 is Mojave support. Not guaranteed they can make it though, but High Sierra is now done so that's the next step.

I want stability of PT 8.1.1 back

I do not agree. In addition I am in PC!

Development, as Avid announced, is not that. In the industry as a whole, and among competitors, that's not it either. Ultimately, this can be included. But nobody understands "development" as adaptation to the new OS. Mojave, or Windows 10, 11 or 24, I do not care. I want developments for my creative tool, developments that look a little towards what the competitors are doing and that give new possibilities and facilities.

A simple example among 100? Several marker tracks, with different functions (information, lyrics, structure, notes, etc.). It's not a mountain of programming. And the ability to move multiple markers at the same time (instead of copy-and-paste). It's not asking for the moon. I would also like to know, when I'm on track zoom, if the groups are active, just by looking at my dashboard at the top. It would be a "G" next to the "S" and the "M" solo and mute. Then automatic solos on the chosen track. Then move with a shortcut a clip up or down, again years copy and paste. There are 96 examples.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 12-16-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
Several marker tracks, with different functions (information, lyrics, structure, notes, etc.). It's not a mountain of programming. And the ability to move multiple markers at the same time (instead of copy-and-paste). It's not asking for the moon.
Those are all good ideas
Old 12-16-2018, 11:06 AM

I understand that Avid's been squashing bugs. I also understand that other major DAWs have been squashing bugs as well each update.
The difference? I pay $400 bucks a year for Pro Tools' bug fixes.
But some will say, hey, "they've released new features each year".
But alas, other DAWs have released new features as well!

I've used Pro Tools since the early 90s, along with Studio Vision and eventually MOTU's DP for midi programming. When PT eventually integrated midi, it became my main DAW.

But PT days are numbered, AFAIC. My subscription is due in March. If there are no new significant features or change in subscription rate then I, along with others here, will also not renew it.

Just too expensive to pay for beta testing Avid's "Ultimate" DAW.
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 12-16-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
How is a ”Bug Fix” a Feature ... ?!!

Never has anyone claimed a bug fix to be a feature .. just an opinion here.
that reminds me of an old cartoon about Win 95 (remember that old chestnut) which went along the lines...

R&D department to CEO: Sir we have 4500 bugs in this OS we cant release it yet....
CEO: No we have the best new OS with 4500 new features.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 12-16-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky View Post
I understand that Avid's been squashing bugs. I also understand that other major DAWs have been squashing bugs as well each update.
I wish they would squash that "CPU overload" creepy crawler which seems to have crawled back for me in the 2018.10 update.... made worst for me that the desk I run PT through has a max 48k sample rate and changing the HW buffer size has no effect. Even when you select that ignore errors during playback/record doesn't seem to help at all.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
I wish they would squash that "CPU overload" creepy crawler which seems to have crawled back for me in the 2018.10 update.... made worst for me that the desk I run PT through has a max 48k sample rate and changing the HW buffer size has no effect. Even when you select that ignore errors during playback/record doesn't seem to help at all.
Hate to Quote myself...... But!!! just read this in the sys requirements page...

ALERT: macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6 now supported on Pro Tools 2018.12
Pro Tools 2018.12 includes fixes that resolve the performance problems that were occurring
at lower buffer sizes on macOS High Sierra versions 10.13.4-10.13.6. If you are unable to run
Pro Tools 2018.12, and you must use 10.13.4-10.13.6. then make sure to avoid lower buffer
sizes (64 samples or lower at 48kHz, 128 samples or lower at 96kHz, 256 samples at 192kHz)

So better download the new update..... if this is fixed I will be a happy lil chappy in a crappyless nappy..