Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Real-Time Bounce to Disk...REAL PAIN

Time is money and as a voiceover professional who also produces/edits audio for imaging, radio programs etc., the ability to bounce quicker than real time is so needed. Again, I have used a few other programs that have no issue whatsoever bouncing faster...Cubase being one of them.

I have had clients sitting a waiting for audio and I'm sweating as it bounces. When I add bounce time and then FTP upload time...it baffles some customers!

I simply feel that this option should be available for those of us who need it. Heck, as many folks as I have referred that have actually purchased Pro-Tools at my recommendation (even with the bounce issue), Digi should at least consider the idea!!

Guys, thanks for your comments!

Mac Studio M1 Max, Focusrite Clarett2Pre, Sennheiser 416, sometimes Beta Tester for iZotope
Old 02-09-2007, 04:53 PM

What is the official Digi attitude on this?

This is obviously a pretty big issue for alot of people.

So, Digi Admin, where does the company stand on this issue?

Someone out there must be listening......
Old 02-10-2007, 04:33 PM

TDM requires it, but LE doesn't - unless you're using an external compressor/EQ or Synth. My guess is that Digi doesn't want to offer a feature to LE users that isn't available in TDM.

Most of the time, my music clients like to listen to the bounce. I can put them in my chair where they're in the sweet spot while it rolls along.

However, it's a real PITA for scoring and dialog/voiceover editing - anything longer than about 5 minutes. There, the clients DON'T want to wait. They just want the CD.

Burning direct to CD would also be a great option. You can do that in Logic Pro.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
What is the official Digi attitude on this?

This is obviously a pretty big issue for alot of people.

So, Digi Admin, where does the company stand on this issue?

Someone out there must be listening......
Anyone from Digi like to comment?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:59 AM

Greetings and Hello,
Years ago I used Cream-Ware /Master port/osiris
on PC, archaic but poignant! But nothing compares to the grace and stability of ProTools
of today. However I can not express enough my disappointment towards limiting the user to the time-consuming arduous task of the "Bounce to disk" exportation in real time. I own Diamond waves Bias and Cube high end plugins, Yet ProTools Le 7 will not let me render or quickly "export" effected project material through Rats, in the file format of my choosing. In RTAS I can play, mix and adjust the plugin to a fine sense of accuracy, involving hours of careful consideration and discernment using several effects, only to then have to switch, loosing every sense of realtime handling in the cumbersome "Audio Suite".
The ProTools "Audio Suite" is stable like a Rolls Royce, But It is cumbersome and choppy to work with, and the "Process" function dissociates the user from the material. I purchase Bias Peak Pro 5 just so I could render and effect .aif files quickly. I also just purchased Cube de-hiss, It will only work with ProTools, But the Audio/Suite "process" interface looses touch with the effect handleing. An analogy to this would be playing classical guitar with mittens on. All I want to be able to accomplish is to "render" in RTAS , and export effected project mixes in wave and .aif formats through the mixer! Working with 45 minute material makes this function absolutely imperative. MP3 and OMF is limited for special use... But we desperately need an export( .wav .aif )plugin. to complement the "Mixer" and to be able to render files through RTAS on the fly... Bounce should be a secondary option!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:03 AM

Regardless of one's stance on this issue, there IS A PLACE for "faster than real-time" bounces. All points made by folks on this thread I started are good...thus, THE OPTION SHOULD BE AFFORDED to all.

-Listening during bounce (good idea)
-Listening after bounce (a must)
-Being able to give clients audio's video-equivalent of "daily's" without packing a lunch/dinner/snack while it bounces (a must)
-For VO folks like me with only a few tracks (sometimes more if producing imaging etc.), faster bounce option (a must)

Honestly, there should be no tension on this issue, it simply should be done by Digi, without question, as this "industry standard" software should have all the reasonable "tools" at the users disposal...end of story!

Brian in Charlotte
www.VoiceOverforyou.com
Blog: VoicePro.blogspot.com
PowerMac G5, LE, 002

Mac Studio M1 Max, Focusrite Clarett2Pre, Sennheiser 416, sometimes Beta Tester for iZotope
Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 AM

<revision and apologies>
ask your self this question.
If ProTools offered a faster than realtime bounce as an Export Command. Or allowed the
export rendering of RTAS through the Mixer, would you use it?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Hey! I have an old Idea. Since this is not an issue of opinion but a issue of options and
Tools... I here by create a ProTools LE 7+ User petition/vote narrowed to this question.
If ProTools offered a faster than realtime bounce as an Export Command. Or allowed the
export rendering of RTAS through the Mixer, would you use it? Please spare us all your
expertise and recording techniques.... reply only in "Yes or No"
Ok here we go, I say ------- YES
Please read the DUC Terms of Use:
Quote:
Because this is a support forum for users helping other users with technical issues regarding Digidesign products, the following types of threads are not allowed:

* Polls
* Petitions
* X vs.Y threads (Mac vs. PC, PT vs. Nuendo, etc.)

I'm not trying to invalidate anyone's position on the matter, and I'm in agreement that a "faster than real-time" option and/or "Freeze track" feature would be a very welcome addition to the Pro Tools software feature set, but lets try to keep it within the bounds of this forum's rules?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-13-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
<revision and apologies>
ask your self this question.
export rendering of RTAS through the Mixer, would you use it?
Yes most definately
Old 02-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Default audio quality?

what could be the problem with the audio quality while bouncing faster-than-realtime? It's a computer! It's digital! there's no tape inside! Do you think that because of faster transfer your wav file will be lower quality when copied from hd to an usb stick than it'd be when copied to a floppy???
nonrealtime btd is a MUST.