Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2011, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Focusrite Saffire 56 with PT9

Here's my statement:

1) Recieved the Liquid Saffire 56, installed the beta installer of Mix Control,
2) Tried it for one day with Pro Tools 9 (including tests with RTAS MixControl)
3) Reselled it the next day!

The worst interface i never used !!

The pres are hissing (honestly guys : The "Liquid" stuff is really a kind of joke!!)
The Mix Control software is really confusing, buggy and instable !

And finally: The RTAS MixControl plug-In ... my God whats that?
1) You can't run multiple instances !!
2) It works only on the 4 first channels of the interface !

Take your hands away from that kind of crappy toys!!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 AM

Hmmm, interesting statement!

1) You only need to put once instance on any audio track.

From the Guide:
"You can place it on an existing audio track but it may be more convenient to add a separate audio track, name it “RTAS MixControl” and add the RTAS Mix Control plug-in on that track."

2) Hit the advance set up and it gives you the complete mix control. This means access to the liquid pre settings and all inputs. It also allows the total mix which has 8 stereo mixes with 16 channels apiece.

3) The mix control software is a little confusing but can be very powerful. It seems if you can understand how Pro Tools works you can get through the mix control software.

4) My pres don't hiss. What mics were you using? I like the Liquids pres. With certain mics it gives a lot of character. ANyway to each his own.

5) Mix control is buggy - yes still buggy somewhat but is better than version 2.2. I find I have to restart Pro Tools after a couple of session loads. Have had a couple problems during running a session, but nothing catastrophic. Not anymore than my digi 002.

6) What I would like to see enhanced in the mix control is:
a - That the default preset is a preset file. I made changes to get two headphone mixes and saved it as a preset. Now it defaults to that set up. Which is cool but would be cooler if I could save presets like all other plugs.
b- Have it expanded to have 32 channels (or at least 24) per mix.

Anyway sorry for your troubles, but I feel you did not give it a fair chance. What interface did (do) you have that is so much better?
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 01-28-2011, 07:41 PM

the dude could hardly spell just go let him play with his toys.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM

I was being kind not to correct the spelling. I just think it's bad when people buy stuff and don't take the time to learn to use it, then put it down in public forum as bad equipment. It would be different if he was looking for help but just to rant when it is obviously he did not even read the four page doc that came with the RTAS mix control.
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 PM

Oh and i agree with you but he obviously has a lot to learn about routing. If the saffire pro series was to difficult id hate to see him in a major studio or around a patch bay or setting up a conplete hd 3 rig with console, snakes, midi the whole fn show.

Maybe he will give it another shot who knows, i have no room to talk im still 2 weeks away from getting my saffire pro 40, i know i can route it but im sure ill be reading this entire thread again if i run into routing issues lol.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 AM

I think this is the same guy from over at Gearslutz, he was saying the same exact thing about the mix control...I am having no more problems at all and thats without the rtas plugin because it is not available for PC yet! I still wish we did not have to restart PT every time we change the buffer but oh well!!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDye View Post
Oh and i agree with you but he obviously has a lot to learn about routing.
Obviously!

I spent sometime last couple of days and have got it so that I can turn on the saffire 56 and turn on my computer and it will default to it. I can the use safari, itunes and whatever else and it works like a charm. I also have no problems running it with Pro Tools 9 except that I get the error on the "can't handle the xxxKHz" every time I go into the playback engine. I do have to restart pro tools after loading a few different sessions with different sampling rates. This is not a big pain in the butt and pro tools is very quick to load after the first load. I think eventually it will get straightened out after the drivers get honed and Pro tools have a couple of CSs.

I actually think the mix control is cool and if I run my presonus D8 and have 16 inputs it is nice, but if I get another one the 18 inputs to each mix is not enough. It obviously was not written for the 56 that can have 26 inputs (not counting the two loop backs that I don't understand).
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive