Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2002, 12:15 AM

Default using a stand alone cd burner with pro tools?

well thats basically it. I was just wondering if its possible to optically connect a stand alone cd burner to the digi 001 unit. is there an optical out on the box or anything like that? If there isnt, can you connect the two via analog connection? Im not sure that i am being perfectly clear. Can anyone help (im a newbie, i havent even purchased a pro tools rig yet...im still looking at the options)
Old 04-08-2002, 12:30 AM

Default Re: using a stand alone cd burner with pro tools?

Just get a CD burner in the host computer? Mac or Windoze .... I prefer Mac but both have CD burners as standard these days.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:53 AM

I went with the CD burner in my PC too, but if you want to go with a stand alone CD burner (HHB, Sony, Tascam...) you can connect it using the SPdif output on the breakout box, and send digital signal to the burner without any further D/A A/D conversion.

L.G.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:36 AM

yeah i understand that it would make sense to go with an internal cdr drive but im building a computer for pro tools digi 001 and i dont already have an internal burner but i do have a stand alone burner so every little bit of money saved is a good thing if ya get my drift. So you guys dont see any problems with hooking up a standalone to the 001? are there any pros or cons? I have a philips unit by the way....welp, thanks for the replies
Old 04-08-2002, 01:27 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jacko32:

i do have a stand alone burner so every little bit of money saved is a good thing if ya get my drift. So you guys dont see any problems with hooking up a standalone to the 001?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SPDF and analog have there merits and should be fine but what about backups? Does the stand alone do data and mixed CDrom etc...?
Old 04-08-2002, 04:29 PM

the stand alone does not do data and what is a "mixed cdrom"....thanks.....how about it?
Old 04-09-2002, 01:01 AM

I think kev is referring to the fact that you will be using the stand alone to burn audio only, but you will need a regular PC burner to back up all your sessions and data, since the stand alone won't do it; a mixed CD is a CD R which contains various type of data altogether e.g. audio and video (please correct me if I'm wrong). There's nothing wrong with external burners, I know some guys who rely exclusively on them for their audio CDs, provided that the converters (when you'll feed it analog audio) and burning features are good, but the price of an IDE burner for backup purposes will set you back as much as $110, so take it into account.

Cheers

L.G.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:55 AM

ok i see what you are saying..."for back up purposes", that makes sense but when you say back up thats in case your harddrive craps out on you right? Because cant you just save your sessions to your harddrive? (especially if your harddrive is devoted to pro tools use) thanks
Old 04-09-2002, 01:26 PM

Jacko,

You may want to research this topic. I remember a thread in which numerous users were achieving greater sonic results using seperate cd burners and avoiding the "bounce to disk" completely (not sure exactly why, maybe someone could answer). But, I am not very knowledgeable on this particular subject. I just use my internal. Maybe they were also using seperate converters also.
Old 04-09-2002, 03:29 PM

barnabas....yeah i hear ya...the only reason i am seeing if i can go with a standalone is because i do have one and i do not have an internal(data writing) cd rom.....thanks for the replies though guys....i might call up digidesign to see what the pros and cons are of having a standalone burner with pro tools....i wont be needing to send tracks to people (they will be coming to me) and i generally wont be taking the tracks to another studio to be mixed or mastered...thanks