Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2016, 11:20 AM

Default Re: El Capitan 10.11.2 causes Pro Tools 12.4 GUI Lag and Glitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post

For those of you who believe that you have no graphics issues with 12.4 and El Capitan, try this:
Open up any session that has audio tracks.
If you have it, put a compressor like the avid pro compressor on any track.
Display the mix window.
Hit play and watch the track meters movement. They are relatively smooth.
Now while still in play, Open the plug in window for the compressor.
The meters in The mix window become slow, Jerky, and stuttering.
I can demonstrate this problem 100% on three different computers, including a 12 core Mac Pro and a brand new 5K retina iMac.
All I have to do is wiggle the mouse around during playback and everything on the screen stutters and jumps. Goes back to normal when mouse stops moving.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack s. View Post
I have a brand new Mac Pro with the laggy scrolling issue. I haven't even run the mail program, and haven't put anything on the calendar. Do you think that doing any of these things will help with the graphics issue?
No. The GUI issue is a separate issue from anything I wrote about. I should have written it in a different thread. I thought it was related, but it is not. I have the GUI lag issue as reported in this thread. (But, the new 10.11.4 update fixed other issues I had). As another poster reported, it is a Pro Tools issue, not an OSX issue, and it needs to be fixed by Avid. I defer to that post.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:33 PM

Well, what a sad thread I have to bump...I'm on PT HD 12.4, El Capitan 10.11.4, clean install, MacPro 6-core trash can and Pro Tools GUI is still laggy, jerky, stuttery, oh my (edit window, meters, sticky faders, I could go on). Guys, please, is 12.5 still such a lagfest? I've tried some suggested optimizations to no avail, very frustrating...
Old 04-13-2016, 05:17 PM

Yep, same here, 10.11.4 on MP 6,1 with PT 12.5 and still sluggish. Interestingly, I switched back to an older Yosemite instal and updated it to PT 12.5 and... (as long as I disable been sync in Quartz Bebug) PT runs as smooth as silk!

So the moral? stick with Yosemite... for now
Old 04-13-2016, 06:46 PM

El Capitan and PT 12.4 are running fine together for me. 12.5 is another matter however....
Old 04-13-2016, 10:50 PM

Wow between the 12.5 horror...which for me was limited to an install on one f my Win7 installs and the continued El Crapitan cursor lagging (for me on 12.4) it's been a rough week for a lot of us...Avid included. I had finally rolled back to 12.4 on my Win rig and all is fine and dandy there but I then focused on what I could do to get an otherwise decent 12.4 to work without the really annoying lag...my solution: to hell with El Crapi, I rolled back to Yosemite and I'm so happy I did. 12.4 behaves wonderfully and it's probably my fave OS X of the last 3 offerings. I really don't see any benefit at all in going with 10.11 over 10.10. I don't even like it that much on my wife's MBAir. I'm sticking with 10.10 on my MBA, My Mac Mini Server and my MacPro PT rig. It's always been my observation that every other OS X was forgettable so for me over the last ten years, that's been Snow Leopard, (skip Lion) Mountain Lion, (skip Mavs tho it's not that bad and it's handy for running PT 10HD) and Yosemite, (skip El Capitan). Guess I'll have to see how OS X 10.12 (Barstow ?? :}) turns out.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 04-25-2016, 08:08 PM

I am running a Mac Pro 12 core with ATI Radeon 5770 HD video card.

Dual booting both 10.8.5 with PT HD 12.4 and 10.11.3 with PT HD 12.5.

The mountain lion partition runs like a dream. Smooth graphics.

El Capitan partition, clean install. Terrible framerate while mixing in Pro Tools, especially in plugin windows. Some plugins like Avid Pro Limiter are super laggy and difficult to use. Such a bummer.

Many people attribute this to "Metal" which Apple introduced.

Does anyone have experience with a better beefier video card running Pro Tools on your Mac Pro cheese grater specifically with El Capitan? Mike from Pro Tools Expert just did it recently:

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...-in-my-mac-pro

Any improvements to higher FPS in the GUI in Pro Tools?
Old 04-26-2016, 08:25 AM

Hi everyone... I re bought into pro tools after not using for over a decade (used to be a mix cube system then went to Logic, now I am just using native 12.5), and i am having severe graphical problems.

I was really shocked to find this but I suppose I am glad it is not my system, so I know it has to be fixed eventually.

I have a refurb (like brand new) retina macbook pro, fully maxed out. 2.8ghz quad i7, 1tb flash SSD, Thunderbolt SSD and 1TB 7200 rpm drives, 16gb ram.

Computer is working fantastic and arrived with Yosemite. I ordered it literally just before El Capitan launched, so it came with Yosemite. I decided two days ago that I wanted to go with El Capitan. But i didn't want to do an upgrade and I had lots of demos installed, so i thought a fresh install would be the way to go.

The first thing I did was wipe the disk and do a brand new install of El Capitan. No upgrades, SSD was completely freshly "re optimised" using disktester, formatted with disk utility and then I installed a 10.11.4 full install directly.

I haven't even done any OS updates. There is literally nothing in this machine that could be causing problems, as I only have pro tools and my necessary (all el capitan compliant) drivers installed! Oh, i do have Logic X 10.2.2 installed as well.

I started pro tools today for the first time and created a single audio track, imported some stereo audio (interleaved track),as I wanted to go through the current pro tools and air effects.

I noticed that whenever i had a dynamics plugin on, the gui on the mixer went abysmally slow until i closed the plugin GUI. Also, any meters on the plugin GUI's are also jumping around like staccato.

The worst culprit is the compressor/limiter.. now this is so bad, that i can't even grab knobs to move them, for example, if i try to set threshold, it will jump from say 0 to -20db in one knob movement as it's always "getting stuck".

I thought i would try pro tools in low resolution mode but that didn't work either. SO now i am back in retina mode.

SO, this problem is very real, and I don't know how this software can be usable at this stage. Why do Avid say that it's compatible with El Capitan when there are sever issues like this? There is no way this could be system specific as too many people have the issue. FWIW my discrete graphics in this macbook pro model are the Nvidia 750GT.

Since this laptop came with yosemite, i CAN format it again and re install everything. Sigh. It's such a big job, but yeah, if it means a smooth pro tools... So i need to know.. do these problems happen with yosemite at all?

Thanks for your attention, and avid, please fix this, it's a serious issue.
(i also wonder if sips has anything to do with it, the system integrity protection in el cap, but i refuse to disable that).
Old 04-26-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dann View Post
I am running two machines on 10.11.2. The only graphics issue I see is the counter lagging while moving the cursor in the edit window. That's it. It would be nice if it were fixed of course, but whenever I move my curser into the edit window, I am looking at what I am editing, and NOT the counter. I literally have not seen this issue in many days of all-day use, simply because my eyes are elsewhere while editing. Also note, if I stop giving the cursor, the counter returns to normal, it's NOT the mere presence of being in the edit window, it has to be MOVING.

That said PT runs great on 10.11.2. I upgraded from 10.9.5, and see no loss of anything PT-wise. The Mac itself runs way better with 10.11.2 than 10.9.5, and I am running 2009 Mac Pros btw.

All this hysteria is much ado about nothing, imo. Move along, nothing to see here...
what so just because YOU don't have a severe issue, it's "move along nothing to see here"?

Very offensive and dismissive post.

Obviously there are LOTS of us with the issue so bad that we can barely use the software when plugin windows are open.

Last edited by TNM; 04-26-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:28 AM

as i'm adding tracks things are just getting worse and worse. So depressed, i can't work in this. Logic is snappy so i can just use that in the meantime I guess, but i'm trying to desperately get away from logic cause it's automation is out of time when there are latent plugins in the project (it doesn't have track insert compensated automation PDC)..

I just need to know if going to PT 12.4 and OS 10.10.5 will fix this, before i undertake such a large job. I have installed all my plugins ad software and i'd have to do it all again.

Man i wanted to use pro tools. So much.

I might ask avid for a refund and just exit PT and go to Cubase which i know works very well with automation timing and el capitan (cubase 8.5).

and PS, i can not go to an earlier version of el capitan as i only downloaded it from the app store a week ago, so i could ONLY get 10.11.4 to do a fresh install from scratch.