Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2014, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Avid, please clarify the new licensing scheme

I am completely clueless as to what this is all about. I am an amateur home user, who just purchased my copy. Am I going to be able to use this software as long as I want, or is someone going to deactivate it if I don't pay for it over and over?
I am disturbed by a company that does not stand behind it's product after the sale. When I bought this I had no way of knowing that help and support was non existent.
Now after weeks of frustrating trial and error, I finally got my copy to function. I don't want to hear that I might not be able to use it after a certain date.
Sounds like extortion.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikholt View Post
I am completely clueless as to what this is all about. I am an amateur home user, who just purchased my copy. Am I going to be able to use this software as long as I want, or is someone going to deactivate it if I don't pay for it over and over?
You purchased a full/perpetual license that will not time out.
Quote:
I am disturbed by a company that does not stand behind it's product after the sale. When I bought this I had no way of knowing that help and support was non existent.
When you activated it, you should have received an email with an Avid Support Code. This code is used to get assisted tech support (troubleshooting). There is also an option (on the phones and on the registration page) to get assistance with registration, activation, etc. and these do not require a code. We also provide a knowledge base and work with the Moderators in this community who then assist other users.
Quote:
Now after weeks of frustrating trial and error, I finally got my copy to function. I don't want to hear that I might not be able to use it after a certain date.
Sounds like extortion.
Glad to hear you are up and running, and hopefully this clarifies things. I would encourage you to review the Pro Tools | Software and Pro Tools | HD Software Upgrades FAQ as well.

Regards,
JC
Old 11-06-2014, 10:49 AM

I already have PT8LE but the hardware is long gone. If I buy a used mbox2 can I use the serial number from it to upgrade my PT8LE??
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 11-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
I already have PT8LE but the hardware is long gone. If I buy a used mbox2 can I use the serial number from it to upgrade my PT8LE??
Yes, provided that the Mbox 2 Serial Number has not been used to upgrade already.

Regards,
JC
Old 11-06-2014, 12:15 PM

Can I upgrade PT8LE with the use of an Eleven Rack ?

(My original MBox is long gone ...)

Thanks,
G
Old 11-06-2014, 04:29 PM

Let me just get the right answer to this and I'll be out of this labyrinth-like thread for good: if you are currently using PTHD11 you don't NEED to do ANYTHING, BEFORE 12/2015. Right?

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 11-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Can I upgrade PT8LE with the use of an Eleven Rack ? (My original MBox is long gone ...)
Yes, it's in the Pro Tools Upgrade FAQ, in this section:
CROSSGRADES FROM PRO TOOLS LE, EXPRESS, M-POWERED OR MP
Old 11-06-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Let me just get the right answer to this and I'll be out of this labyrinth-like thread for good: if you are currently using PTHD11 you don't NEED to do ANYTHING, BEFORE 12/2015. Right?
Correct ....
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-06-2014, 04:43 PM

What evidence/documentation do you need to upgrade from Pro Tools M-Powered? Also, when/where do your provide it? I go to the shop, and I can add any upgrade I want to my cart, so it's got to be at some point later in time. Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Correct, see this section of the Pro Tools Upgrade FAQ (red highlight by me)...

UPGRADES FROM PRO TOOLS 11 and PRO TOOLS HD 11
Quote:
Q: I already own Pro Tools 11 or Pro Tools HD 11. How do I get access to upcoming product features and updates?
A: Moving forward, access to upgrades will only be available through an upgrade/support plan. Existing Pro Tools customers can take advantage of this upgrade offer now, at the time of the next upgrade release, or any time by the end of 2015. The current cost of this 1-year plan is $199 for Pro Tools | software owners, and $599 for Pro Tools | HD Software owners.

Q. If I purchase an Avid system that includes Pro Tools 11 or Pro Tools HD 11 (Pro Tools | Eleven Rack, Pro Tools | Duet or Quartet, Pro Tools | HDX, Pro Tools | HD Native, or other) will I get the new version of Pro Tools with standard support and upgrades?
A. No. The version of Pro Tools included with hardware packages does not include the new “Pro Tools | Software with Standard Support”. However, you can enjoy the benefits of being on standard Avid Support, including getting all future Pro Tools upgrades (including cloud collaboration features) and access to expert advice and help whenever you need it—even if your system came with Pro Tools 11—by purchasing an upgrade plan for $199 (Pro Tools | Software with Standard Support) or $599 (Pro Tools | HD Software with Advanced Support) for one full year.

Q. I just purchased an upgrade to Pro Tools 11 or Pro Tools HD 11. Do I have to purchase an additional upgrade already?
A. No, you are already on the most current version (11) of Pro Tools so there is no need to purchase an additional upgrade now. However, in order to keep your perpetual Pro Tools software license current you will need to purchase an upgrade/support plan by the end of 2015, or sooner if you want access to the next feature release.
And just so that last sentence is not misunderstood, your Pro Tools 11 or Pro Tools HD 11 license will never disappear or expire, nor will any new license you get if you do choose to purchase an upgrade.