Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-29-2002, 07:16 PM

Default Volume Pot From Adat Bridge to Monitors???

Anyone know where I can find a schematic diogram to make a balanced pasive volume controler with switch as I am a Moron with no Idea and dont want to blow my monitors up and you all are cool Guru's that love to help chimps like me.
Reason being I want to fit it in my rack rather than having a big bulky mixer.

Kindest regards to yee all and hope you had a merry christmas or lovely seasonal outlook!!
Producing in Australia Kitch
Old 12-30-2002, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Volume Pot From Adat Bridge to Monitors???

If you'd like a quality solution, here's a good site to check: http://www.goldpt.com/

You can buy the parts in kit form, or a completed/boxed unit.

Lee Blaske
Old 12-30-2002, 07:23 PM

Wow, Lee. Those look really cool. What does the same thing but a little cheaper? Like maybe in the $150-$200 range?
Old 12-30-2002, 07:33 PM

Yes I need cheaper. I spent all my money on my Protools Mix system and I need a volume control that is balanced, good quality to go in a rack with my other gear so I can transport it easily.

Does anyone know where to get 4 deck 10K Attenuators for a good price? then I think Im set. I priced one at $185 US, $375 AU but for that amount I'll not be able to pay rent this week.

In hind-sight we pay for what we get, but it'seems like such a simple component.

Anyone???
Kitch
Old 12-30-2002, 10:10 PM

That simple little volume control is a pretty imortant part of your set up, and will make a big difference in the sound of your rig. Is the exchange rate really that bad between Australia and the US. Your PT rig must have been obscene! Oh well, my rent is high here in LA.

Steve
Old 12-31-2002, 09:10 AM

Try this
www.colemanaudio.com
Old 01-01-2003, 09:13 AM

To do it on the cheap, consider a simple 100k dual audio taper pot, and wire it unbalanced. Use hot and shield and it will not affect the sound in any great way. It can be put in a tiny box and long-wired to sit at your keyboard. I wire these pots into 3 way unbalanced audio switchers for small dupe systems and home studios. Just copy the volume pot schematic from any Mackie or other console.
The next step-up would be the Alps four stack stepped pot mentioned earlier, which is used in the Coleman products and in SSL consoles. I buy them from a local Alps dealer.
If you had the money, you could not go wrong using a Coleman switcher. I use them in large dupe systems, and will get one for a mobile PT rig.