Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #101  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
RokVox RokVox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: .
Posts: 719
Default Re: 10.1.2/10.1.3 crashes when changing Playback Engine settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Not asking if it crashes when you select 1024, but trying to find out if you open a session when PT is already set to 1024 if it crashes when you change to 1024.
Not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean "if it crashes when you change from 1024."?

If I already have the buffer setting @ 1024 and re-choose 1024 then click ok... All seems ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Again...
  1. Launch PT
  2. Set the Buffer to 1024
  3. If PT quits/crashes, relaunch PT (it should still be 1024)
  4. Open a session
  5. Change the Buffer as needed
Yes, this seems to work from 512 to 32 but as some have stated checking 1024 leads to a crash.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 PM
necjamc necjamc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 2,667
Default

I just had it crash going from 128 to 512. After I reopened it was set at 512. I don't have time to mess with it now I got work to do but this doesn't always happen to me. But it happened right after I got an error popup to increase the buffer. I did and it crashed. Prior to that I had gone down to 128 without a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 AM
RokVox RokVox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: .
Posts: 719
Default Re: 10.1.2/10.1.3 crashes when changing Playback Engine settings

Just an FYI to Digi Tech Support:

I figured I'd update my computer to 10.7.4 (Combo Update) to see if anything changed for the better. Alas, it did not, nor did I really think it would. No better, no worse...

---------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 17-inch (Early 2011), 2.2 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 8GB SDRAM, 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 RPM, Lion 10.7.4, Pro Tools 10.1.3
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 05-11-2012, 05:14 AM
conrad787 conrad787 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 99
Default Re: 10.1.2/10.1.3 crashes when changing Playback Engine settings

yes, my buffer will stay at 1024 - only after PT crashes initially when CHANGING from 128 to 1024.

i know avid doesn't like to give out exact release dates for updates, but any ball park estimate on the release of 10.1.4? days? weeks? months?
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 05-12-2012, 07:09 AM
bortraws bortraws is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 347
Default Re: 10.1.2/10.1.3 crashes when changing Playback Engine settings

Just FYI,

I have had EXACTLY the same problems as all of you guys when updating from 10.0.0 to 10.0.1.

Couldn't run under 1024 Sample buffer settings and had constant -6101 plus -6104 errors with also frequent -9128 errors.

What I did was placing ALL 3rd party plugins in the Unused Plugins folder. Pro Tools worked fine after that. So what I did next was literally placing each and every single plugin back in the Plugin folder, clearing prefs and databases etc after every plugin and checked to see whether the bug would return.

Of course it was one of the last plugins that finally changed something (and I have a lot of 3rd party plugins). What I found out was that it was the Oxford EQ plugin that crashed PT and gave me this weird behavior with the Buffer Size at 1024. I thought ALL plugins were up-to-date because I checked them but only that single plugin had been updated to 2.7.2. just a week earlier. Sonnox support even advised me to go back to version 2.6.3 of their EQ plugin until they come out with the AAX versions.

I think many, not all but a lot of plugin developers lack the service of telling their users that new updates are available. Oh yeah sure, they do a lot of promotion when a new update is available that you have to pay for but not when it is a bug fix update. That could improve A LOT!!! All it takes is one simple e-mail to all your users in the database. Shouldn't be that hard I guess.

Anyway, after updating the Sonnox plugin it works better, not perfect but better (still frequent -6101 errors but PT won't give me the beach ball and crash). I can run on 1024 samples buffer size now though which is something I really need with my 60 to 80 odd tracks sessions that are very rich in plugins (many 3rd party).

Now that this works I have skipped 10.1.2 and am very reluctant to update to 10.1.3 after reading all the stories here.

My system:
Mac Pro 8-core 3.0 GHz (first one from early 2008)
OS X 10.7.2
8 GB RAM
Dedicated to Pro Tools (so no other software)
Pro Tools 10.0.1 with CPTK2
Eleven Rack as main interface with 3rd party preamps for recording
__________________
Bortraws
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 05-12-2012, 07:12 AM
bortraws bortraws is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 347
Default Re: 10.1.2/10.1.3 crashes when changing Playback Engine settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad787 View Post
yes, my buffer will stay at 1024 - only after PT crashes initially when CHANGING from 128 to 1024.

i know avid doesn't like to give out exact release dates for updates, but any ball park estimate on the release of 10.1.4? days? weeks? months?
My guess is that PT 10.2 is around the corner not 10.1.4.

They have to update ALL of their plugins to AAX very soon!
__________________
Bortraws
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 AM
conrad787 conrad787 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 99
Default Re: 10.1.2/10.1.3 crashes when changing Playback Engine settings

I hope so!
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 AM
louieshowers louieshowers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 569
Default Re: 10.1.2/10.1.3 crashes when changing Playback Engine settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortraws View Post
Just FYI,

I have had EXACTLY the same problems as all of you guys when updating from 10.0.0 to 10.0.1.

Couldn't run under 1024 Sample buffer settings and had constant -6101 plus -6104 errors with also frequent -9128 errors.

What I did was placing ALL 3rd party plugins in the Unused Plugins folder. Pro Tools worked fine after that. So what I did next was literally placing each and every single plugin back in the Plugin folder, clearing prefs and databases etc after every plugin and checked to see whether the bug would return.

Of course it was one of the last plugins that finally changed something (and I have a lot of 3rd party plugins). What I found out was that it was the Oxford EQ plugin that crashed PT and gave me this weird behavior with the Buffer Size at 1024. I thought ALL plugins were up-to-date because I checked them but only that single plugin had been updated to 2.7.2. just a week earlier. Sonnox support even advised me to go back to version 2.6.3 of their EQ plugin until they come out with the AAX versions.

I think many, not all but a lot of plugin developers lack the service of telling their users that new updates are available. Oh yeah sure, they do a lot of promotion when a new update is available that you have to pay for but not when it is a bug fix update. That could improve A LOT!!! All it takes is one simple e-mail to all your users in the database. Shouldn't be that hard I guess.

Anyway, after updating the Sonnox plugin it works better, not perfect but better (still frequent -6101 errors but PT won't give me the beach ball and crash). I can run on 1024 samples buffer size now though which is something I really need with my 60 to 80 odd tracks sessions that are very rich in plugins (many 3rd party).

Now that this works I have skipped 10.1.2 and am very reluctant to update to 10.1.3 after reading all the stories here.

My system:
Mac Pro 8-core 3.0 GHz (first one from early 2008)
OS X 10.7.2
8 GB RAM
Dedicated to Pro Tools (so no other software)
Pro Tools 10.0.1 with CPTK2
Eleven Rack as main interface with 3rd party preamps for recording
IT ALSO HAPPENS ON the PC VERSION OF 10.1.2. When changing buffer size to 2048....CRASH CRASH CRASH....problems with audio clock...bye bye session. now using 10.0.1 for Windows. According to many "loyalists on various threads" It's always the user's fault....I am glad to see others using their right to voice their dissatisfaction and resentment for certain policies and lack of stability.
__________________
Windows 7 64 Ultimate: SP1
PT 10.3.8

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 AM
conrad787 conrad787 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 99
Default Re: 10.1.2/10.1.3 crashes when changing Playback Engine settings

Cool. Bump.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 AM
WernerF WernerF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 3,049
Default Re: 10.1.2/10.1.3 crashes when changing Playback Engine settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
IT ALSO HAPPENS ON the PC VERSION OF 10.1.2. When changing buffer size to 2048....CRASH CRASH CRASH....problems with audio clock...bye bye session. now using 10.0.1 for Windows. According to many "loyalists on various threads" It's always the user's fault....I am glad to see others using their right to voice their dissatisfaction and resentment for certain policies and lack of stability.
What he said is that he removed all of his plugins and subsequently replaced them, one by one, untill he found the problem 3rd party plugin. This further underscores the fact that often times the problem lies with incompatible 3rd party entities, not Pro Tools itself. This is not to say that P Tools is perfect but rather to emphasize the point that due diligence in the problem solving area can yield good results.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with Playback Engine Settings Bezo 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 16 08-28-2012 07:48 AM
> Please help with PT 'playback engine' settings megahurt Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 5 02-05-2011 09:35 AM
Changing the device Playback Engine uses RogerAF 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 2 06-19-2010 09:19 AM
PT crashes when changing Playback Engine Will Russell Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 11 12-05-2006 08:15 AM
Changing Playback Engine in 7.0 Ozzie Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 3 11-11-2005 11:11 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com