Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 AM

Default Worth buying a Command 8 now?

Hi!

I'm new to the forums here and so thank you in advance anyone who takes the time to reply!

I currently use Pro Tools LE 8 with my 003 Rack and I'm looking at buying a control surface for it. My question is: the Command 8 has been out for about 5 years now - is it worth buying now?

Are there any shortcomings with buying the Command 8 compared to say the control surface on the 003 console? Is there likely to be an upgraded model anytime soon? What are some of the limitations of the Command 8?

I was thinking of buying an M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 and using that as my control surface, but I feel that if i got a command 8 and a really nice weighted keyboard, although being a lot pricier, I feel it would give me a much better user experience. However, I don't wanna buy a Command 8 and find that there are some nuisances or limitations that potentially could be rectified in an update that might come out in say 2011.

I only need simple control, just finding clicking around Pro Tools is a bit tedious, so real faders, transport controls, track arming etc. would be really useful.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Worth buying a Command 8 now?

I have the same question! I feel that tthe C8 may be going out soon, but is a guess. On the surface, the 003 appears to be a better controller but I am a newbe also.

suggestions needed?

Thanks,
billy
Old 10-14-2010, 03:43 PM

I'd steer clear. I've had mine for about 6 months and can't get them to respond to a simple thread on this forum... I'm about to jump ship and get a different DAW.

If you are interested I'll sell you mine...
Mackie Control Universal Pro
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Intel MB P35 Express Chipset 1333Mhz FSB
Memory: 32GB DDR3-800
Old 10-15-2010, 07:21 AM

how do you like it otherwise? i am scared of it because i think its at the end of its product life.

what is a shame is that Avid and others leave out features of product A put them in B minus something else, BUT C covers it all but only in 24+ channels at big $$$!

why does Avid build a full featured 8 fader bankable controller that covers PT 8.x LE that has an upgrade path to full PT 8.x? Will the MC line do that i wonder?

later,
billy
Old 10-15-2010, 12:30 PM

Honestly I am going to try the behringer control surface for $200. It's noisy but it gets the job done. I can't comment on the C8. I mean, I love how it looks but it is just a giant paper weight right now. And zero support from AVID/digi just leaves me with less faith in this company. I've been using PT for almost 14 years now but it seems like they just don't care about their lower end customers.
Mackie Control Universal Pro
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Intel MB P35 Express Chipset 1333Mhz FSB
Memory: 32GB DDR3-800
Old 10-15-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matocaster1202 View Post
Honestly I am going to try the behringer control surface for $200. It's noisy but it gets the job done. I can't comment on the C8. I mean, I love how it looks but it is just a giant paper weight right now. And zero support from AVID/digi just leaves me with less faith in this company. I've been using PT for almost 14 years now but it seems like they just don't care about their lower end customers.
I think it really has to do with the fact that Euphonix will be designing all of their control surfaces from here on in. Right now is probably a good time to get into the MC line, since EuCon control is definitely right around the corner.

We may even see something new come AES since Euphonix is a listed vendor.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-16-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matocaster1202 View Post
I'd steer clear. I've had mine for about 6 months and can't get them to respond to a simple thread on this forum... I'm about to jump ship and get a different DAW.

If you are interested I'll sell you mine...
This is a users forum not tech support.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I think it really has to do with the fact that Euphonix will be designing all of their control surfaces from here on in. Right now is probably a good time to get into the MC line, since EuCon control is definitely right around the corner.

We may even see something new come AES since Euphonix is a listed
vendor.
I would wait to see if that is a true perspective, don't assume they purchased them for Euphonix to take over design.
Could easily be like the mAudio thing were they just want to be able to market to other vendors and the Euphonix name would allow that.
It seems more likely to ICON-ish product with the Euphonix name to used with nonAvid setups.
The biggest change we will probably see will be that the Euphonix stuff will finally start working properly with PT.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
I would wait to see if that is a true perspective, don't assume they purchased them for Euphonix to take over design.
Could easily be like the mAudio thing were they just want to be able to market to other vendors and the Euphonix name would allow that.
It seems more likely to ICON-ish product with the Euphonix name to used with nonAvid setups.
The biggest change we will probably see will be that the Euphonix stuff will finally start working properly with PT.
EuCon control is what a lot of people have been asking for. It's certainly more powerful than HUI, and the MC Control is a pretty cool control surface.

Plus... if you saw what Brad Lyons bought recently... I'd call it a pretty good indication of the integration between Euphonix and Pro Tools soon to come.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-16-2010, 01:57 PM

BTW: What did Brad Lyons just buy in terms of MC control and Avid?

I also have been wondering what the new controller products would be like.

Later,
Billy