Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 PM

Default How Is PT Now?

When PT11 first came out there was so much trouble with it and the new iLok system that I thought they would have a melt down here on the board. It was horrible.

I decided to stay with PT10 until the bugs had been eliminated in PT11. I haven't regretted it.

It's been several months since all that hullabaloo and I wanted to visit here again to see if things are stable and reliable enough in PT 11 to try it. Other than the aggravation of a real time bounce to disk and the awkward struggle of trying to program drum loops, PT 10 does everything I need.

So are the bugs worked out of PT 11, and if so, is there enough practical improvement for me to change from PT 10? This is for my home studio, which is basically for songwriting. I mostly do track writing, ie, a track or two at a time, and I don't record drums or produce anything commercially. But if the bounce feature is good, the media browser used to sequence drum loops is greatly improved, and there are any new and better plugins or other features that really make a difference then I may try PT 11. If not, I prefer to stay with 10.

Thanks in advance.

JGP
Old 11-08-2013, 12:42 AM

Default Re: How Is PT Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGotPaid View Post
When PT11 first came out there was so much trouble with it and the new iLok system that I thought they would have a melt down here on the board. It was horrible.

I decided to stay with PT10 until the bugs had been eliminated in PT11. I haven't regretted it.

It's been several months since all that hullabaloo and I wanted to visit here again to see if things are stable and reliable enough in PT 11 to try it. Other than the aggravation of a real time bounce to disk and the awkward struggle of trying to program drum loops, PT 10 does everything I need.

So are the bugs worked out of PT 11, and if so, is there enough practical improvement for me to change from PT 10? This is for my home studio, which is basically for songwriting. I mostly do track writing, ie, a track or two at a time, and I don't record drums or produce anything commercially. But if the bounce feature is good, the media browser used to sequence drum loops is greatly improved, and there are any new and better plugins or other features that really make a difference then I may try PT 11. If not, I prefer to stay with 10.

Thanks in advance.

JGP
Hi,

Why not use both? You can use 10 & 11 on the same system. PT11 runs solid for me and I really like the new features - especially Offline Bounce. The drawback is the loss of being able to run old RTAS and VST converted RTAS plugins as 11 uses the new AAX format. 11 does come with a decent number of basic plugins though. I tend to use 11 to track in and 10 to mix.

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 11-08-2013, 04:03 AM

Thanks Chris. Sounds like I need to stick with PT10 a while longer until the new releases can do it all.

JGP
Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 PM

Just install them both to see what you're missing. I find that the only real thing missing are Lexicon reverbs and most Eventide stuff. I'd also like to have Massey's stuff available, but I can live without them for a while. But that's it.

(also, here's the mandatory !#€%#€%#€%& for Waves
-- bring your stuff to AAXDSP so I can justify buying HDX card.)
Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 PM

I've been in 11 and using it to mix music on a major late night TV show since September 9. I've been adding things bit by bit, and when something gives it indigestion I remove it. So far that's only happened once.

The whole iLok thing has been a non-issue for at least three months now.

If your workflow requires plugs that haven't ported yet, you obviously stay in 10. (When I need Kick Ass Brass I build in 10, print the audio, and finish in 11.)

If not, make absolutely certain your system is specifically supported for a 10/11 co-install and consider taking the plunge. Several things (Offline Bounce and Automate While Recording) new in 11 are as vital to me now as Clip Gain was when 9 (actually 10, thanks Mods) was released. My sense is that there are a lot of folks who are working away happily in 11 without any of the angst so prevalent here on the forum.

And the Avid Pro Limiter is brilliant. Not free, but brilliant.

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest

Last edited by Peter Baird; 11-08-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Inaccuracy
Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Baird View Post
Several things (Offline Bounce and Automate While Recording) new in 11 are as vital to me now as Clip Gain was when 9 was released.
Clip Gain was a PT10 feature.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:52 PM

Rats. Do you think anyone will notice if I edit the post?
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 11-09-2013, 01:12 AM

There's no harm if one remembers things wrong. You can be sure there is always some jerk that comes to set you straight
Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGotPaid View Post
Thanks Chris. Sounds like I need to stick with PT10 a while longer until the new releases can do it all.

JGP
Not sure what you mean "Do it all" if you mean wait until all your preferred plugins are AAX 64 bit then this makes sense if you do not want to go back and forth between 10 and 11

If you mean when 11 can run RTAS then that isn't going to happen. However one solution is to use something like VE Pro to host your 32 bit RTAS, VST AU etc. plugs in 11

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Hey JustGotPaid--

I've been running 90% PT 11 for two months now. I don't miss ANYTHING except for a couple of plugins (my favorite plugs are McDSP which are all AAX64 now, as are Melodyne & SoundToys). And Offline Bounce & more efficient cpu usage more than make up for the loss.

Also: hey you're from Memphis! That's my hometown, though I've been in Greece for the last year & San Francisco for 10 years before that...
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies