Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2014, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation bug in PT11 with AOS plug-ins

+10 - the support group does not even seem to care to read the (bug) details presented in this thread . We are getting very close to 1 year anniversary of this (and a few other major) bug in PT11 => Seems like, in 2014, VI users are not really in Avid's target group and calculating & entering delay times by hand is still the way to go.
StudioOne + Cubase (+ Pro Tools for simpler old stuff)
Old 05-19-2014, 11:20 PM

+1

Avid, please get this fixed. It's a real showstopper.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 AM

So I've been living with the delay compensation bug and thought I'd try to use the audio track 'workaround', but as reported by others, it's useless if you want to listen to everything in context.

If you set up a multi-out VI on an audio track, and then set up other audio tracks with their inputs set to the VI multiple outputs, well, at first you see the delay being compensated for. But as soon as you enable either input monitoring or record enable, the compensation gets turned off.

I'm assuming that if I printed the audio going via those audio tracks, delay compensation would be back on when playing back so all would be fine there. But as a way of working when a project is under construction, it's no good.

I'm now wondering about using audio tracks instead of aux tracks and VI tracks as a long term workflow solution for me, seeing as, at the end of a project, I like to print VI multi-outs to independent audio tracks for safety, just in case I have to go back to it and find the VI no longer plays nicely with whatever app updates have happened in the interim.

If I can solo-safe the audio tracks receiving the VI outputs AND turn on input monitoring, and have delay compensation still functional, that would give me what I need when working on the project. It would also make the job of printing to audio better, because I would only have to record enable those audio tracks, AND press record, to get my printed audio.

In fact, once (if) this delay compensation bug is sorted out, it actually seems a better and more suitable workflow to me.

Just one question though ... am I missing something?

Other than that fact that using audio tracks in this way eats into the precious total audio track count that pro tools allows you, are there any other disbenefits? I'm struggling to think of any!
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 05-21-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niilo Nuori View Post
+10 - the support group does not even seem to care to read the (bug) details presented in this thread . We are getting very close to 1 year anniversary of this (and a few other major) bug in PT11 => Seems like, in 2014, VI users are not really in Avid's target group and calculating & entering delay times by hand is still the way to go.
Agreed… and since this has gone on so long, I think we deserve an Apology from the profit minded person who left this issue untreated. Shameful.

Last edited by Numi; 05-23-2014 at 03:53 AM. Reason: grammar =P Half Asleep
Old 05-21-2014, 11:26 AM

Last edited by Numi; Today at 12:45 PM. Reason: grammer

Which is actually spelled grammAr...

Sometimes you just can't win...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 PM

More importantly Bill ... any views you'd care to share on the topic itself? ;-)

Regarding the bug?

Or my query regarding any dis-benefits I haven't thought of, if I were to use audio tracks as a matter of routine in my workflow, instead of aux and instrument tracks?

Please illuminate us with your thoughts.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:41 PM

I'm curious about printing to audio tracks. I have been, with success, entering the - number myself in instrument tracks. Yesterday though I encountered an issue. I routed the output of 10 or so tracks to an aux so I could treat all the sounds together. When I bounced the aux track and brought the audio in it was late by an 8th note inside the file. Real Time bounce too.

So even though the Instrument tracks are okay with the - number, somehow routing to an aux after the fact makes it late again?

Anyone having luck 'freezing' bussed tracks to Audio tracks?

This is so frustrating.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
More importantly Bill ... any views you'd care to share on the topic itself? ;-)

Regarding the bug?

Or my query regarding any dis-benefits I haven't thought of, if I were to use audio tracks as a matter of routine in my workflow, instead of aux and instrument tracks?

Please illuminate us with your thoughts.

Nope...just commenting on the irony...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-22-2014, 12:50 AM

Fair enough Bill
Old 05-22-2014, 09:01 PM

So this is just a complete disaster. After months of thinking that bypassing Auto-report and entering a negative number was working.

I have a pretty intense project going. Over 200 tracks, video, multiple sessions sharing a tempo map. Making different stems to bring into the main session.

Almost everything is not sync'd inside the file after it's bounced though. Even if I make a bounce of the session then bring the audio in, the track will be off to the session that I just printed it from. It Flams

I'm just having to feel my way around and nudge things back or by eye to picture. SO So frustrating and making me second guess everything I'm hearing. I can't remember ever having such a hard time with a software program.

Really shame on AVID. Really.