Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 06-06-2001, 07:56 PM

Default Routing question

I am about to get into all of this and I have a couple of routing questions....

I see where you can hook up interfaces such as 888's and 1622's but I don't see where you can interface adat bridges.

In my setup I want to have 3 888's and 3 adat bridges. How is all going to hook up to Control 24 and more importantly will I be able to control all 6 interfaces from Control 24?

Thanks,

Donnie
Old 06-07-2001, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Routing question

Hey Donnie,

There seems to be some confusion, the C24 doesn't connect to the interfaces directly. The interfaces connect to the Mix Cards (core and farms) , you can connect up to 16 i/o to each card. Your 888's and Adat bridges would connect to your system in the same manner as without the C24. The C24 connects to your system through the ethernet port on your computer and essentially acts as a 'remote control' for your PT software.

To connect the C24's monitoring section and mic pres you must make analog audio connections to and from your i/o.

Since you can only connect 16 i/o to each mix card you would need 5 mix cards to connect all the i/o in your post. That would mean adding an expansion chassis to your system to accomodate the cards.

HTH.

- Jan
Old 06-07-2001, 09:27 PM

Yes Jan ... I think I'm getting it.
I was wondering, if I got the C24 ... what am I doing with those physical 16 i/o's.
Well are the good for DA88 returns, CD outs, ISDN listen, etc...???
Or should I connect that stuff directly to the 888's?

Also, does the control 24 have Aux sends and Buses (like an 8 bus desk)?

spc
Old 06-08-2001, 06:56 AM

Hey SPC,

The C24 is essentially a physical representation of the PT mix window. It isn't a mixing desk on it's own. It has no auxes, no busses, no tracks. Those are all in the PT software and you can CONTROL them with the C24.

The C24 i/o is mainly to route the monitoring section and to route the outputs of the built in mic pres. To use the mic pres you must physically connect the outputs of the pres which are on a d-sub to the inputs on your 888 which are XLR. You need to actually have cables that go from the D-sub to XLRm and XLRf to make all of your routing. The C24 is only a control surface for PT.

- Jan
Old 06-12-2001, 09:50 AM

Jan,

There is actually an analog component to the C24 in the monitoring secton.

Peter
Old 06-13-2001, 12:37 AM

Yes Peter, the monitoring section is ALL analog. The response to SPC was in regard to his question about auxes and busses. There are a total of 6 stereo inputs 3 of which are for PT (6 channels of surround) and 3 2-track inputs (CD, DAT, cassette etc.). Of course you can route anything to any of the inputs but there is no separate level control for each therefore they're not really well-suited for DA88 returns etc.

There is also an extremely limited 8-stereo channel submixer whereby you can route 8 stereo line level sources into the monitor mix with volume control for each stereo pair. Again, without individual volume control it's of limited use as a multrack return nor can it be internally routed to any inputs within PT.

- Jan