Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 09-26-2010, 02:28 PM

Default I need a tutorial

Here is my story ur sound man thinks he needs to eq my eleven rack at the board [MY CHANNEL STRIP}I told him to run my channel flat because thE 11r does not need any further eq after my rig for FOH so he tells me that i need to sent him a write up were it states that modelers need no eq or some sort of tutorial ....my question is does someone have something i can send him via email so he can read facts about running modelers from a sound mans point of view thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-2010, 03:23 PM

Default Re: I need a tutorial

Probably what you really want is your sound man to start flat and then eq to what he thinks sounds good (assuming you like how he hears things). The problem is sounds systems are not flat and the room affects the sounds so you want him to EQ to the room/rest of band etc. The best thing is to have him hear a recorded sound of what your want and let him shoot for that sound. I have found that the sound I love from the 11R at home with my monitors is not what ends up coming out of the PA (much to my frustration). I've gotten to the point where I want to run the 11R through an on stage amp (like QSC or Atomic Reactor so I get an on stage sound I really like - and can use without PA if needed and then run to a PA as needed - i still think the 11r can work for live but it doesn't seem as easy as I first hoped).
Old 09-26-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmj View Post
Here is my story ur sound man thinks he needs to eq my eleven rack at the board [MY CHANNEL STRIP}I told him to run my channel flat because thE 11r does not need any further eq after my rig for FOH so he tells me that i need to sent him a write up were it states that modelers need no eq or some sort of tutorial ....my question is does someone have something i can send him via email so he can read facts about running modelers from a sound mans point of view thanks in advance!
Tell him to shut his mouth and do as he's told.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:24 PM

Good one Cessna Pilot...that could go very badly given the soundmans proximity to the mute button
Old 09-26-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Strat View Post
Good one Cessna Pilot...that could go very badly given the soundmans proximity to the mute button
I'm cutting down a long post to a short one to ask the question: How does a sound guy get on demanding proof of anything from the performer? Unacceptable.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
so he tells me that i need to sent him a write up were it states that modelers need no eq or some sort of tutorial ....
Ask him if he has heard of Google
By the way, EQ is a matter of choice like most things are. If he feels the need to tweak your 11R channel and you agree with it...fine, if not refer to cessnapilot's posts
Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 AM

It's all a matter of taste; if you're having different opinions about a good guitarsound and how it sits in the mix, it's a endless arguebattle.

Maybe this argument will fit both of you: EQ-ing is not a must, it's a tool to give the sound engineer a right frequency balance in the FOH they use...
Old 09-27-2010, 06:25 AM

look guys i was always under the impression the channel was to be set flat for modelers was i misunderstanding my read ?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:26 AM

If you have a wireless go out to where he stands at sound check and let him dial you in and then decide if you like the way he hears you...
In a perfect world/room flat would be the rule but reality isn't perfect and a good sound man can save you from an imperfect room...

Some sound men just have issues with being the guy in charge, they don't like to be challenged.

And on that note, for a bit of fun on the topic Aynsley Lister Sound Man
Old 09-27-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
look guys i was always under the impression the channel was to be set flat for modelers was i misunderstanding my read ?
We all dream of a world where things are simple just like you wrote...but it never is that simple.

When it comes to "tone" you only have indefinite number of choices which is not that many

I've known people recording album quality acoustic gtr & vocal parts with a single SM57...and %99 of the books tell you that it's mostly used for recording Gtr Amps & Snares...go figure