Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-11-2017, 11:44 PM

Default Re: SSD performance

http://blog.macsales.com/31602-owc-s...mforce-command

That seems to be a fairly authoritative Trim can be activated on an OWC SSD.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Because of the difference between spinning disks and solid state disks, the partitioning mechanism as it is today usually creates parititions that span on all chips in the SSD drive, resulting performance loss for all partitions. Death of one chip will also corrupt all partitions at once.

I will adjust my opinion when parititioning SSD drives becomes like managing RAID on spinners.
uh no.

The drives do the right thing. You do not want and will not ever get drive partitioning that behaves differently on a SSD. No partition on an SSD controls what NAND chip(s) blocks are stored on. That magic is handled within the SSD with multiple layers of indirection and caching to give performance and reliability.

As always the decision about partitioning should be driven by operational needs. If you *need* multiple boot partitions, separate backup/restore partitions, seperate filesystem types or strictly read-only filesystems then partition away. If not then don't--you are just creating more hassle. With SSDs, unlike HDD, using partitions will not tank performance by introducing extra seek latency between partitions.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsetto View Post
Hello. I am following this great guide to address my newly installed Samsung Evo 850, 1TB. Thank you. (It is put in a late 2011, 13", i5 MacBook Pro.)

On this Samsung SSD firmware updates for Mac users link http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor...oad/tools.html I do not see any firmware updates for the 850 Evo. I will interpret this to mean there are none.

I've also discovered Magician is Windows only. I'll keep searching to see how else to address this newly installed 850 Evo. Tips welcomed, :)
You can manually add to the overallocation of a drive by just leaving that space unpartitioned. If the drive is already fully partitioned then just shrink that partition in the disk utility.

If you don't see any firmware updates, there are none. But now you know where to check in future.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:43 AM

Thank you both for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You can manually add to the overallocation of a drive by just leaving that space unpartitioned.
Quote:
If the drive is already fully partitioned then just shrink that partition in the disk utility. ...
Would you explain both of these? I do not understand these concepts.

Per my understanding of your suggestions, I created a dedicated "provisional" partition, in addition to the various boot drives.

(I hope it's okay I'm appending to this thread rather than creating a new one. I believe this is related to "SSD Performance" and the subjects discussed in this thread. I have tried to search these concepts in other duc threads. I've read stuff here and there.)
Old 03-12-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
uh no.

The drives do the right thing. You do not want and will not ever get drive partitioning that behaves differently on a SSD. No partition on an SSD controls what NAND chip(s) blocks are stored on. That magic is handled within the SSD with multiple layers of indirection and caching to give performance and reliability.

As always the decision about partitioning should be driven by operational needs. If you *need* multiple boot partitions, separate backup/restore partitions, seperate filesystem types or strictly read-only filesystems then partition away. If not then don't--you are just creating more hassle. With SSDs, unlike HDD, using partitions will not tank performance by introducing extra seek latency between partitions.
I agree with Darryl here. I use a 1TB 850 EVO partitioned into 500GB for samples that I use often, and 280Gb for audio. The rest is unallocated. Other sample libraries reside on spinners, though I'm heading for a situation where they'll all be on SSD's. On a smaller system, I've partitioned 80Gb as a 'workpad' for sessions in progress. Both systems work great. The partitions aren't 'necessary', but they are convenient for backup purposes. +1 also for the 950 Pro M2 NVMe. The 960 EVO is cheaper, and, like the 850 Pro and the 850 EVO, I don't believe there will be a noticeable difference in performance.
X99 | i7 5960x @4.6GHz | 64GB GSkill DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 950 | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB | Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | Samsung MZ7PD256 SSD 256GB | Kingston 120GB SSD | WD Black 1TB x2 | G-Drive 4TB x2 | WD Elements 4TB | Audient ID14 | PT2020.5 | Windows 10 Pro
Old 03-12-2017, 10:11 AM

It's like flying first class. Once you've had the experience, you can't go back. Another perk---defragging is not only a waste of time, it can actually make the SSD wear down faster.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Per my understanding of your suggestions, I created a dedicated "provisional" partition, in addition to the various boot drives.

(I hope it's okay I'm appending to this thread rather than creating a new one. I believe this is related to "SSD Performance" and the subjects discussed in this thread. I have tried to search these concepts in other duc threads. I've read stuff here and there.)
Unpartitioned space is space that does not show up as partitioned in disk utility. I don't know how to explain that any more. Shrink an existing partition or delete your "provisional" partition. If these things are not making sense then google for more info on those terms or on using Disk Utility.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:

In other words, don't partition the whole drive. Leave maybe 20% unallocated, or raw. Or, as per the previous suggestion, delete your 'provisional' partition. You can expand or shrink the 'usable' partition to suit your needs, and just leave the unpartitioned space for the SSD to use in its operation. This will prolong the life of your SSD. Just make sure 'Trim' is enabled.
X99 | i7 5960x @4.6GHz | 64GB GSkill DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 950 | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB | Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | Samsung MZ7PD256 SSD 256GB | Kingston 120GB SSD | WD Black 1TB x2 | G-Drive 4TB x2 | WD Elements 4TB | Audient ID14 | PT2020.5 | Windows 10 Pro
Old 03-13-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Unpartitioned space is space that does not show up as partitioned in disk utility. ...
I am using disk utility in Mac OS 10.11, El Capitan. From what I am gathering, it does not allow me to leave unallocated space. When I try to reduce or delete an existing partition it gives the extra space to an existing partition. I read that this is a new limitation in Disk Utility in 10.11. I am searching for a 3rd party Mac partitioning application; which I figure will allow me to set up my SSD with over provisioning.

I appreciate the help I'm getting here.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 PM

After giving up on settling on a 3rd party Mac partition tool, I booted into Yosemite, and with its Disk Utility I was able to do what you all have been talking about. Thank you for your support in getting started with my SSD.