Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-11-2016, 03:03 PM
b mcgibney b mcgibney is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver, B. C.
Posts: 595
Default Update from 10.8.5 to ?????

I just received a (new to me) 5,1 12 core to replace my aging 8 core 3,1 Mac Pro. I am also getting near the end of my year of support/license. Been happily running PT 12.5 on MAC OS 10.85. Unless I decide to pull the trigger for another year , 12.61 is the last update available to me.

From the compatibility docs I see it needs mavericks as a minimum OS and can run on through Yoemsite, El Captain and Sierra, all of which my new mac can run. The question is should I bother to update PT to 12.6.1, what if anything is gained and what might be lost and, which of the various MAC OS's seem to play best with all the other bits. All the newer OS upgrade seems all about integration with iOS devices which I don't really care about one way or another.

As ever any thoughts are appreciated
__________________
2010 Mac 5,1 32 GB Ram. 2 x 29.3 Ghz 6 core Intel Xeon PT 2019.10. Mac OS 10.12.6. RME UFX and a bunch of other nice stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-11-2016, 05:35 PM
TimothyJohn TimothyJohn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baltimore, United States
Posts: 223
Default Re: Update from 10.8.5 to ?????

I updated from 10.8.5 to Sierra about a week ago, on my 2011 2.3ghz i7 17" MacBook Pro. Ran at least 6 sessions on 12.6.1. No problem!o!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-11-2016, 06:04 PM
b mcgibney b mcgibney is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver, B. C.
Posts: 595
Default Re: Update from 10.8.5 to ?????

Well that is encouraging. Did you update or do a clean install?
__________________
2010 Mac 5,1 32 GB Ram. 2 x 29.3 Ghz 6 core Intel Xeon PT 2019.10. Mac OS 10.12.6. RME UFX and a bunch of other nice stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Watagushu2013 Watagushu2013 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: México
Posts: 153
Default Re: Update from 10.8.5 to ?????

I had 10.8.5 for about 3 years and I have the same question. I update to Mavericks a month ago but I am not sure if this system is the correct OS.
I am afraid of sierra because not all plugins are ready and I don't now if my video card (Aja kona 3) will be also. So I am waiting on Mavericks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-13-2016, 06:54 PM
TimothyJohn TimothyJohn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baltimore, United States
Posts: 223
Default Re: Update from 10.8.5 to ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by b mcgibney View Post
Well that is encouraging. Did you update or do a clean install?
update.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-13-2016, 11:59 PM
Matt Hepworth's Avatar
Matt Hepworth Matt Hepworth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 425
Default Re: Update from 10.8.5 to ?????

I wouldn't update unless you have to.

12.6.1 running great here on two systems with 10.8.5.

If I had to update it would be 10.10.5.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-14-2016, 03:35 AM
nedd nedd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Europe-NL
Posts: 204
Default Re: Update from 10.8.5 to ?????

Me too happy user of 10.8.5 on Mac Pro 5.1 2x12 cores 3.33
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:02 AM
Drew Mazurek's Avatar
Drew Mazurek Drew Mazurek is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 11,562
Default Re: Update from 10.8.5 to ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by b mcgibney View Post
I just received a (new to me) 5,1 12 core to replace my aging 8 core 3,1 Mac Pro. I am also getting near the end of my year of support/license. Been happily running PT 12.5 on MAC OS 10.85. Unless I decide to pull the trigger for another year , 12.61 is the last update available to me.

From the compatibility docs I see it needs mavericks as a minimum OS and can run on through Yoemsite, El Captain and Sierra, all of which my new mac can run. The question is should I bother to update PT to 12.6.1, what if anything is gained and what might be lost and, which of the various MAC OS's seem to play best with all the other bits. All the newer OS upgrade seems all about integration with iOS devices which I don't really care about one way or another.

As ever any thoughts are appreciated
1. keep the boot drive you have now intact.
2. be sure to download all installers available NOW and keep in a safe place.
3. In the past few years the best OSes for PT (for me) were 10.10.5 and 10.12.1
4. try different combinations in your spare time as you continue to rely on your known working combo.
__________________
www.drewmazurek.com

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD Native cant Update Firmware after installing PT9.0.5 Update Aditu Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) 72 11-27-2012 03:57 PM
10.3 Update - Windows shutdown issue has returned. Update at your own risk. crm0510 Windows 14 09-19-2012 01:50 PM
10.5.6 update. Is it safe to apply the system update from 10.5.5? SBCCMusic 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 9 02-02-2009 02:27 AM
Windows Update Vs Apples Software Update sunburst79 General Discussion 2 07-14-2007 06:40 AM
What is this Apple Update? Hard Disk Update...ver 1.0 McMasters Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 1 06-30-2003 05:56 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com