Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-06-2016, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Touch Bar on new Mac Book Pros

I could care less about the touch bar. How about the magsafe charger connection? Or enough usb to carry an interface, iLok, and midi kb? But no, in order to pull off a session, you need a hub. And a power outlet. so much for portability.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazik View Post
I own a 15" "TouchBar" MBP, and for now, I can have the standard fonction keys as usual (no use of the fn key modifier).
Go to pref/keyboard/Shortcuts/Fonction keys (translated from french) and add the apps you want to have the F1, F2...keys.
YES !! my hero...thanks man
Old 12-07-2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamesbomb View Post
YES !! my hero...thanks man
You're welcome !
Old 12-07-2016, 03:20 AM

I have to record some stuff in 96/24 soon. I just tested my new MBP with an UFX card. With 64 tracks in play, 64 tracks in record, I can have a buffer of 64 samples. No plugs in my test.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyJohn View Post
I could care less about the touch bar. How about the magsafe charger connection? Or enough usb to carry an interface, iLok, and midi kb? But no, in order to pull off a session, you need a hub. And a power outlet. so much for portability.
The touch bar MacbookPros have 4 USB3 ports (1-Power Charger, 2-Interface, 3-iLok, 4-midi kb) no hub required. But you'll need up to three adapter dongles. Didn't the previous Macbook pro also only have 4 USB ports? My 2011 MBP only has 2 USB ports. I do wish they came up with some magsafe connector for USB3 however.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.15.6 running Protools 2020.5.0
Old 12-07-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
The touch bar MacbookPros have 4 USB3 ports (1-Power Charger, 2-Interface, 3-iLok, 4-midi kb) no hub required. But you'll need up to three adapter dongles. Didn't the previous Macbook pro also only have 4 USB ports? My 2011 MBP only has 2 USB ports. I do wish they came up with some magsafe connector for USB3 however.
It's actually likely easier to hang a hub off one USB-C port and attach the iLok and MIDI keyboard and interface to that than have multiple separate USB-C dongles. Performance will likely be just fine.

USB-C magsafe, wot like this? https://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Break.../dp/B01CQTK6GU

The stupid frigging touch bar. Such an awful thing, as a heavy user of the vi text editor, I tried out one of he new MBP for a while but I really hate the touch Esc key. And think the whole touch bar is a useless gimmick. The whole mechanical keyboard feels awful, another thing from Apple just getting worse over the years, oh well I'd just use an external keyboard for most stuff. I will be disappointed if Avid waste anytime on supporting the touch bar. They have much more useful things to do like fix bugs.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-07-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
And no way to install an internal 2nd ssd/media drive. And to use external drives, you need a hub. Or maybe an interface with two t-bolt ports. Some do, some don't. Most external drives do not. With my i7, 17" MacBook pro, I can run an ext. t-bolt drive, firewire 800 drive, usb Scarlett 1802i interface, iLok, and kboard. In the express port I use a UA solo laptop sharc processor. But I could attach esata drives instead. And I can remove the superdrive and install an internal ssd drive. In Apple's neurotic/psychotic quest for skinny laptops, they discard eminently usable features. I know all about the PC paradigm, but I can't allow myself to fund an antivirus company, waste processor power, just to run the computer.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyJohn View Post
And no way to install an internal 2nd ssd/media drive. And to use external drives, you need a hub. Or maybe an interface with two t-bolt ports. Some do, some don't. Most external drives do not. With my i7, 17" MacBook pro, I can run an ext. t-bolt drive, firewire 800 drive, usb Scarlett 1802i interface, iLok, and kboard. In the express port I use a UA solo laptop sharc processor. But I could attach esata drives instead. And I can remove the superdrive and install an internal ssd drive. In Apple's neurotic/psychotic quest for skinny laptops, they discard eminently usable features. I know all about the PC paradigm, but I can't allow myself to fund an antivirus company, waste processor power, just to run the computer.
eSATA? SATA storage? You need to get over that slow old technology. It archival/backup stuff nowadays.

The tradeoff now with the new MBP is (at least with the high-end 15" ones) you have 4 x Thunderbolt 3 ports over two separate Alpine Ridge chips so finally some real modern IO performance on a recent Mac with up to 40Gb/s per link and that is going to encourage a whole new generation of PCIe based external SSD storage. Which kinds makes that you can't get inside these thin toys and update the disk less of an issue. But still if you want internal storage you just have to pay thought the nose and buy as much as you can afford inside the MBP, the 2TB disk is expensive but it's very high perforamnce PCIe/NVMe modern strorage. Should be easily usable for samples, sessions and boot by almost all users especially with disk cache.

For most port expansion I expect folks to take a single USB-C port and run to a desktop dock or a USB-C/Thunderbolt monitor and from that multipel things like keyboard, mice, slower drives, iLoks, slow old Firewire, etc etc. leaving several USB-C/Thunderbolt ports for direct high-performance connections. The sad thing is these MBP have muvh better Thunderbolt IO that the stupid Mac Pros.

Yep I'm thinking about getting a new MBP, part of my delay is wether I want to pay $$$ for that on board 2TB or not. And I'm upset that they don't have 32 GB memory.