Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2017, 11:58 PM

Default Opinions about recording drives

I've had the same WD 7200 rpm Caviar Black secondary drive for what probably amounts to TOO many years, and it's starting to exhibit some odd behaviors. So, thinking it's time to replace it before it gives up the ghost! So, my question, are we at the point with SSD drives that they make decent recording drives? Already have a Samsung 850 EVO as a system drive, but also have nothing but good experiences with aforementioned WD BLACK drives. Your opinions? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by sw rec; 08-15-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Opinions about recording drives

I don't think you can ever go wrong with the WD Blacks. Have you run WD's diagnostics on your current drive? With the prices of SSDs where they are now, I would think a 500GB SSD as a session drive would work, archiving completed sessions to a spare spinner. I operate under the assumption that every time I boot up any of my computers, the disk drive(s) will have failed and I will have to recover from backups. I back up my session files to an external drive, plus to my everyday computer over the home network. My OS drives get images made periodically, keeping the last 2-3 images stored.

Just 2 days ago I had to restore my ProTools computer's OS drive from an image after I tried updating my Digi002's drivers and it didn't work, and I was unable to revert to the previous drivers.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:28 AM

I use a SSD for my recording drive. No issues.

Better thru put than the blacks all around.

Avid approved.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:40 AM

I have to say although we have many many SSD Drives here and buy new ones week,y we still use WDCBlack spinners for recording drives as SSD drives will wearout quicker as I understood it with all writing and reading simultainiously but we use SSD drives for OS and on a few Macs also as rec drives.

If you want to save some cash go with a WDC Black 2-3 GB as they are fast stable and great for recording to.9ms seektime or less and minimum 64GB cache and you are golden. You can buy 2-3 WDC for a 512GB Ssd and it will work as good as the SSD as you have the SSD OS drive now all IMHO of course.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-15-2017, 07:03 AM

Thanks for all the input! I can blast up to microcenter and pick up a 1tb wd black for about 80 bucks. Seems like the most tried-and-true way to go at this point.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:55 PM

Update. 1TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM drive, up and running again. Thanks again for all the input! You guys rock.