Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2014, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Waves Studiorack

Exact, what the eMotion Mixer ST allows is to do monitoring queues. But what is used In pro tools is the StudioRack, and in that you can automate the plugin functions. You can either use StudioRack natively (which means that all your plugins within the SR will be processed by the computers cpu that runs the daw) or through the soundgrid dsp server that is part of the digigrid. And if you want to do an offline bounce, you have to move all your plugins from the dsp mode to the native mode, so if you were loaded up natively and decided to move the dsp plugins to native to be able to do an offline bounce... there's the possibility of your session going kaput......... But then again, Soungrid only has 64 voices maximum and using a mono SR takes away 1 voice, 2 for stereo as soon as you instigate it then routing inputs or side chains to that SR uses voices also so you might run out of voices before that even happens...

And from what I can see (at least I haven't found out how yet on my system) You can have multiple StudioRack instance open using the Shift+click or clicking the red icon on the plugin window, but you can't have multiple plugin interface opened from withing the same SR. So you can't work multiple plugins parameter from the same SR with the mouse, you always have to go and click on the other plugin that is in the chain to open it's interface.... Total kill for me as I often have my plugins opened at the same time to monitor what's going on with them

As far as the automation itself.. it's a pita. What I mean is that usually when you press on the learn automation icon of the plugin in pro tools you see the name of the automation parts that can be selected like HPF, Trim, Gain, etc. In the SR it doesn't work like that, you do not see the name you see letters and numbers such as p359. So basically you have to do your automation assigning one at a time or you risk getting yourself mixed up.. which is a time waster. and instead of being able to select them from the learn automation list of the plugin, you have to right click on what you want to automate, example if you want to automate the HPF of an eq, you'll have to right click on it and pre-assing an automation lane number. Then you'll have to go to your automation track view in your edit window to assign it to the track. Rinse and repeat for all the automations you wish to work from that plugin and all the other plugins from that SR. Compared to how we're used to be able to select all the automation you want to work right away in the automation learn window.. this is a pita.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-28-2014, 04:33 AM

OK got it...thank you.

Here's a penny for a thought: if DigiGrid or SoundGrid or whatever is called uses Intel CPU's why then do you need Waves' hardware; why not simply create a master application server that would run on Mac/Win platform that both use Intel anyway and simply have the option of dedicating a number of cores specifically to Waves?

I'm sure it's not that simple, but hey ... it is an interesting thought I think...
Old 07-28-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion777 View Post
OK got it...thank you.

Here's a penny for a thought: if DigiGrid or SoundGrid or whatever is called uses Intel CPU's why then do you need Waves' hardware; why not simply create a master application server that would run on Mac/Win platform that both use Intel anyway and simply have the option of dedicating a number of cores specifically to Waves?

I'm sure it's not that simple, but hey ... it is an interesting thought I think...
yah, the soundgrid server is like a slaved computer where you would offload your VI's processing, but instead of VI's your offloaded the plugins. It worked well for VI's so in theory it should work well for plugins too, but that's theory. There's always been some latency issues with using native cpu's (IE intel/amd/what ever cpu vs dedicated signal processing chips (dsp)) whether it be from a slaved computer.. or the soundgrid servers (which are the brains of the digigrid boxes) and it's higher than what you'd get with the HDX cards right away.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-28-2014, 05:13 AM

Avid HDX/HDN cards limited 64 I/O so it's not a waves SG limitation.. But in Logic or Cubase you got 128 voices!

[QUOTE=Emcha_audio;2174351] if you were loaded up natively and decided to move the dsp plugins to native to be able to do an offline bounce... there's the possibility of your session going ......... But then again, Soungrid only has 64 voices maximum and using a mono SR takes away 1 voice, 2 for stereo as soon as you instigate it then routing inputs or side chains to that SR uses voices also so you might run out of voices before that even happens../QUOTE]

Waves mercury Bundle
Massey Plug-ins
AIR Creative Bundle
many Audio gears...
Old 07-28-2014, 05:21 AM

I'm sorry for multiple posts because I use my iPhone for writing so it's not easy:)

SG V2 will let you work to multiple plug-in Windows... V1 was the first relaese so as I said that before there'll be more tools and "toys" on SG V2... Belive me guys it's a wonderful idea(SG) that I never seen... Honestly I'm learningggggg everyday some more things on eMotion mixer.

Cheers

Waves mercury Bundle
Massey Plug-ins
AIR Creative Bundle
many Audio gears...
Old 07-28-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meric View Post
Avid HDX/HDN cards limited 64 I/O so it's not a waves SG limitation.. But in Logic or Cubase you got 128 voices!
I am not talking of Inputs outputs, but assignable voices.. The HDX cards have 256 voices and 64 I/O per cards. If you put 3 cards in you have 768 system assignable voices, and a total of 192 Inputs and outputs. HD native has 256 voices maximum and 64 I/O. So in comparison the soundgrid system has 4 times less system assignable voices than the HDN and 1 HDX card, and 12 times less than an HDX 3 system. So while the SG system might have a maximum of 64 voices, due to the 64 mono path within the soundgrid server, that can be assigned and that would be a match for HDN, it falls short to the HDX systems scalabilities.

So what does that affect, well if you have a stereo SR on one track in pro tools that counts as 2 voices (or more if you have sidechain enabled and other key inputs assigned to it), but that's a total of 2 in/out used of the soundgrid system. If you're on a HDX 2 or HDX 3 you're only using 2 inputs out of the 128 or 192 available In/Out of the HDX system. But what I'm talking about is actual processing channel voices within the Soundgrid system itself. You are confusing the number of voices of the DAW and the number of voices in Soundgrid.

Quote:
I'm sorry for multiple posts because I use my iPhone for writing so it's not easy:)
and no worries that's why I stopped using my cell phone to respond here, to clunky

Quote:
SG V2 will let you work to multiple plug-in Windows... V1 was the first relaese so as I said that before there'll be more tools and "toys" on SG V2... Belive me guys it's a wonderful idea(SG) that I never seen... Honestly I'm learningggggg everyday some more things on eMotion mixer.

Cheers
Soundgrid may allow you to work multiple plugin window, but the StudioRack won't. The plugin interface that is hosted in the SR is limited by the SR plugin widow it self, it doesn't open an independent window outside of the SR to work the plugin interface you are using. To clarify this. If you have SR in your first track, and in that SR you have an a Q10, a C4, and what ever else, then you will only see within the window of the SR one of the plugin interface at a time. So if within the SR window you press on the Q10, the Q10 interface appears in the SR window and not outside of it. That's why you can't have the Q10 and the C4 interface windows opened at the same time if they are part of the same studiorack. I guess you could theoretically place more than one SR on the same Pro tools channel, but then you'd be wasting even more voices on the SG server just to be able to open different plugin interface on the same channel.

And again, the eMotion Mixer ST is for monitoring and live tracking, it's not meant to be used to mix the song so it is very limited, no automation.

Anyways, La je dois aller me préparer pour mes clients, je te souhaite une bonne journée :)

Wave-T.com
Old 07-28-2014, 09:42 AM

Here's another video on Studiorack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWBavygEzvQ

Looks more and more interesting.

One thing this has that hasn't been mentioned is a gain reduction meter, if there are any compressors in the chain. Kind of a nice workaround for non-HD users who don't have that feature in regular Protools 11.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 AM

So is there any news on what's the idea of Waves of comparing plugin count to AAX-DSP versions if they don't exist?

And if Waves dropped AAX-DSP development on plugins that were bought for double the price as being TDM (to be used with hardware DSP) and didn't care much about it, how do they want us to believe that they will not drop the studiorack system right away if they don't sell the quantity they have estimated...

I don't trust them. They made me feel like it when they ignored that I paid so much to have DSP versions and they didn't care to continue to develop it.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM

APA box anyone?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:21 PM

Right now we will continue to use Native aax waves with our HDX rigs. The waves hardware, extra software mixer, just seems convoluted and a workflow killer. The studiorack really seems like it would hamper big sessions. I have to open the rack then go to the plugin I want inside the rack to make changes. In large sessions I cant see visually what I need to see. How do you automate a plugin within the studiorack without affecting the others? Plus waves keeps dancing around the latency specs.