How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2002, 08:18 AM

Default Digi and everyone - I\'ve got a great idea for a great new feature

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF YOU ARE GOING TO POST HERE, MAKE SURE YOU READ AND ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND THE CONTENTS OF THIS POST.

ALSO - IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CRITICIZE MY SUGGESTED SCHEME (rather than adding to it), PLEASE READ THROUGH THE DISCUSSION IN ITS ENTIRETY BEFORE POSTING, SO I SHALL NO LONGER HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE SAME MOTIONS REPEATEDLY.

THANK YOU

The Scheme:

Okay, it's not a stunning new thing no one could ever have thought about, some of you probably already have, but it's not there and it would save me so much time..

What I want is "Track Presets" and here's how it could work (simple):

Basic functionality:
1) Select one or several tracks
2) Choose menu item "Save Track Preset"
(If several tracks are selected they are treated as one "Track Preset". What is saved is the plug-ins set on the track(s) and their current settings. This "Track Preset" is saved to a global "Track presets" location, so that "Track Presets" can be recalled into any session at any time. It's probably a good idea to let the user create and organize into folders.)
3) When recalling a track preset (menu item - "Recall Track Preset") a new track is created with plug-ins still in place and their settings retained.

Optional functionality:
2b) When multiple tracks are saved as a "Track Preset" groups within the tracks are saved along.
3b) If one or several tracks are selected when recalling a "Track Preset" you are asked if you want to replace plug-ins and settings on the selected tracks or if you want to create new tracks with the "Track Preset". If the number of tracks doesn't match the same rules apply as in other areas of ProTools operation.

Regarding automation
I don't think it would be a good or feasible idea to save automation within a "Track Preset" since it's unlikely to be needed or wanted and likely to mismatch. I also think that a funtion like this should be "pure" and not retain any timeline related information at all.

So what do you say? Wouldn't this be great? For me this would be a great time saver.

Ben

FLAMERS, BASHERS AND BORES: YOU'VE HAD YOUR FUN, NOW PLEASE READ THIS:

Why oh why do you feel the need to take a negative and patronizing stand and try to explain why I (and you) don't need what I'm suggesting? One after the other you show that you haven't understood what I'm suggesting and that you haven't really read the discussion and probably not even taken care to grasp my original posting in it's entirety. C'mon, get a grip - why do you act like doormen for Digi? Why do you protest against a function that couldn't possibly do any harm? It simply doesn't feel professional at all.

Ben
Old 08-04-2002, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Digi and everyone - I\'ve got a great idea for a great new feature

Save your "Presets" in a session that has no audio or automation. Include all your tracks, plugs, inserts, whatever you want. Either open the "Preset Track" or in a new session choose "import tracks" from the file menu. Be sure to "Save As" and check the disk allocation. Serve with chilled beverage.
Old 08-04-2002, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zumwalt:
Save your "Presets" in a session that has no audio or automation. Include all your tracks, plugs, inserts, whatever you want. Either open the "Preset Track" or in a new session choose "import tracks" from the file menu. Be sure to "Save As" and check the disk allocation. Serve with chilled beverage.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I know all about this (and other similar schemes). I need something way faster, more direct, simple and intuitive. After three+ years of mixing in PT I still think my mixes take too long compared to old-school and I need changes. I'm addressing this in all areas right now, the ProTools application being one of them.

Ben
Old 08-04-2002, 04:26 PM

Is this the current state of the DUC? Is no one interested in the ProTools application? Well, if something as useful as what I am suggesting gets no attention here, then I can live without the DUC. So c'mon!
Old 08-04-2002, 05:09 PM

strange this - does none of you want improved software?
Old 08-04-2002, 05:33 PM

I'm not sure what day it is in Sweden, but here in the States it's Sunday. Calm down, dude.

Brent
Old 08-04-2002, 07:41 PM

Well, I thought it was on sundays that everyone benched up for the DUC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, I guess you're right. I had a similar thing going a while ago that noone took any interest in, so I guess I got phased,

Well, Mañana

Ben
Old 08-05-2002, 01:48 PM

Benjamine,

I think what you want is a session template which already exisits in PT. You can save a track setup with plugs, IO setup and even a mix if you want. and it is very quick to use.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:01 PM

i start all session with my favorite settings and delete what i don't need
don't forget to change the disk allocation and save it when you transfer the temp stationary file to another drive

Old 08-05-2002, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by saintkev77:
Benjamine,

I think what you want is a session template which already exisits in PT. You can save a track setup with plugs, IO setup and even a mix if you want. and it is very quick to use.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why does everyone tell me this?? No, this is not what I want. Is noone interested in productivity? I am totally familiar with the variations you guys keep suggesting, I've done it for ages but it's not efficient enough. I need to be able to mix faster in PT than I can do now, or I can't continue mixing in PT. This is something I need to deal with, and although it's not primarily about features in ProTools, that's one of the areas where improvement can be made.

I can't figure out why you guys don't understand the point of this, do you not want a Ferrari? Just because there's a way to do something doesn't mean it's a good way.

Ben