Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2018, 02:01 PM

Default There are any Amps at all for PTF??

I notice Eleven FREE/LE/LITE isn't supported in PTF. Are there any amp simulators for PTF that I can use, or the only way to go is line out from the amp? Can I do better than this with Audacity or other software, where I can do "instrument in".
Old 10-29-2018, 02:52 PM

Default Re: There are any Amps at all for PTF??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpone View Post
I notice Eleven FREE/LE/LITE isn't supported in PTF. Are there any amp simulators for PTF that I can use, or the only way to go is line out from the amp? Can I do better than this with Audacity or other software, where I can do "instrument in".
Nope not even Sansamp. Somebody needs to whack the Pro Tools First marketing weenies over the head with a guitar or bass.

Your Pro Tools First depressing closed ecosystem options are here: https://www.avid.com/pro-tools-first/plugins. Eleven Mk II is a nice bundle. The Pro Tools plugin bundle at ~$50/year is a good deal as it gets you Eleven Mk II and the Eleven Rack effects pedals.

Of course going Pro Tools standard or any other DAW opens up a world of great third party amp sims (positive Grid Bias being my favorite).

Audacity. Ah no. Lots and lots of other options. Especially stuff included with GarageBand and Logic Pro if you are on a Mac.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:37 PM

If you are used to work with Pro Tools then getting the subscription as Darryl said is a good option, I have a perpetual license of Standard and still I pay $100/yr to stay current
Old 10-29-2018, 03:43 PM

Mac I can say Logic was very pleasant for me to use as a beginner. I wish I owned i today. Otherwise thank you Sir. I bought Scarlett 2i4 and may build it out with MIDI and a full DAW and so on where I go up from here.

jpone
Old 10-29-2018, 03:50 PM

Also I sure wish I had found this out.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpone View Post
Mac I can say Logic was very pleasant for me to use as a beginner. I wish I owned i today. Otherwise thank you Sir. I bought Scarlett 2i4 and may build it out with MIDI and a full DAW and so on where I go up from here.

jpone
Actually I think Logic can be a frustrating pain to learn, it’s internally complex and the documentation has this unclear astringent (dare I say Germanic) style to it. But it’s often worth learning especially for folks doing Composition/VIs on Macs. I am a fan of GarageBand, Apple did well there to make this stuff usable to beginners and importable into Logic. And the focus there was really on new user usability/productivity whereas the focus on Pro Tools First was clearly what features can Avid cripple.

But even on Windows you have lots of choices of capable DAWs. Reaper, StudioOne, Pro Tools,... but I would just not recommend Pro Tools First, far too crippled. If you want to be in the Pro Tools ecosystem get Pro Tools standard.... a very good DAW.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-29-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Actually I think Logic can be a frustrating pain to learn, it’s internally complex and the documentation has this unclear astringent (dare I say Germanic) style to it.

I've encountered the same frustrations. It's almost like the person who programmed it never touched a mixing desk in their life. I've found even the most basic functions to be counter-intuitive. It doesn't even make sense as a computer programmer (Reaper does). YMMV
Old 10-31-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
I've encountered the same frustrations. It's almost like the person who programmed it never touched a mixing desk in their life. I've found even the most basic functions to be counter-intuitive. It doesn't even make sense as a computer programmer (Reaper does). YMMV
That may be the case. I didn't get into editing or mixing tracks, so actually I wouldn't know. I just recorded some stuff, one time. But yeah recording is about as easy as the other. I can see why PTF is going to be free to push me to buy the standard. Good info here!