Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 06:20 AM

Default Avalon 737 or 747?

Wanting outboard unit for kick and vocal chain. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2018, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Avalon 737 or 747?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.brantley View Post
Wanting outboard unit for kick and vocal chain. Thoughts?

Neither would be on my list(maybe the 747 on the master). Besides, the 747 is a compressor while the 737 is a channel strip(preamp/EQ/compressor. Back to my "why", its because of a mic/preamp shootout I did a few years back with a friend. He had the 737 and a Vintech 273 and we shot out 8 mics through both preamps. Now he liked the 737 on vocal, but I much preferred the Vintech(and nobody ever complains about drums thru Neve preamps). In my own rig, my kick comes in via a Midas XL48(which beat the Vintech I was using before) and I usually record kick with nothing else on the way in(lately been going thru a Warm Audio Pultec, but I am happy without the EQ). I track with Avid's Channel Strip plugin). Of course, the drum and mic are crucial and I have a killer Mothertone 20" kick with a Telefunken M82 and a custom "sub-kick".

As for vocals, I use a Five Fish X-12(API 312 clone) thru a Warm audio WA2A and rarely feel the need to change anything(though I will sometimes opt for the Slate VMS). The API-style preamps seem to have a little more "in your face" sound, while Neve's are less "in your face" but seem "bigger"(hope that makes sense). Again, the mic choice matters and I am usually on a Miktek CV-4(tube) or C7(FET). I rarely use any EQ on the way in so I can come back at a later date and not worry that I can't remember the settings(plugins are just easier).

So, for kick and vocal, I would consider the Vintech 273 or maybe try the Midas(its amazing on drums, so how bad could it be on vocals?). 8 channels for under $1K so you have money left over(maybe improve your mic locker?). Just my 2 cents

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-23-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Neither would be on my list(maybe the 747 on the master). Besides, the 747 is a compressor while the 737 is a channel strip(preamp/EQ/compressor. Back to my "why", its because of a mic/preamp shootout I did a few years back with a friend. He had the 737 and a Vintech 273 and we shot out 8 mics through both preamps. Now he liked the 737 on vocal, but I much preferred the Vintech(and nobody ever complains about drums thru Neve preamps). In my own rig, my kick comes in via a Midas XL48(which beat the Vintech I was using before) and I usually record kick with nothing else on the way in(lately been going thru a Warm Audio Pultec, but I am happy without the EQ). I track with Avid's Channel Strip plugin). Of course, the drum and mic are crucial and I have a killer Mothertone 20" kick with a Telefunken M82 and a custom "sub-kick".

As for vocals, I use a Five Fish X-12(API 312 clone) thru a Warm audio WA2A and rarely feel the need to change anything(though I will sometimes opt for the Slate VMS). The API-style preamps seem to have a little more "in your face" sound, while Neve's are less "in your face" but seem "bigger"(hope that makes sense). Again, the mic choice matters and I am usually on a Miktek CV-4(tube) or C7(FET). I rarely use any EQ on the way in so I can come back at a later date and not worry that I can't remember the settings(plugins are just easier).

So, for kick and vocal, I would consider the Vintech 273 or maybe try the Midas(its amazing on drums, so how bad could it be on vocals?). 8 channels for under $1K so you have money left over(maybe improve your mic locker?). Just my 2 cents

Ty!! You always give just what I need to help evaluate future gear!!

I’m installing a Digi Sync Clock to help with PT10HD popping and clicking issues but my Mac is not recognizing it! Do you utilize the 8pin serial cable from the clock directly to the card slot? Also I purchased mine used and was wondering if there where setup firmware to install or is it supposed to just recognize on its own? Ty so much

Old 05-24-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.brantley View Post
Ty!! You always give just what I need to help evaluate future gear!!

I’m installing a Digi Sync Clock to help with PT10HD popping and clicking issues but my Mac is not recognizing it! Do you utilize the 8pin serial cable from the clock directly to the card slot? Also I purchased mine used and was wondering if there where setup firmware to install or is it supposed to just recognize on its own? Ty so much

No where near enough info to offer any advice. I would start by describing every single piece of hardware and how its connected. Maybe you don't need the Sync Clock?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave