Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 03:37 PM

Default AVID Does Not Honor "Grace Period" Buyers Beware!

EDIT: AVID resolved the issue. Rest assured, AVID will honor their "Grace Period."

My ProTools Annual Upgrade and Product Support both expired on Aug. 7, 2017. I tried to renew, 16 days later, on Aug 23 2017. For what ever reason, the system would NOT allow me to renew. My only choice was for re-instatement at $299. After multiple attempts to get the renew price, I finally paid re-instatment. Yes, I should have contacted tech support prior to paying, but I didn’t think of it. My bad on that point.

Once I remembered that AVID offers a grace period, I opened a tech support ticket. Initially I asked for my licenses to be fixed and refund the overcharge, as I was within the grace period. I did not care why the snafu happened, I just wanted AVID to fix my licenses. I eventfully changed my request and asked that the extra money be used to extend my licenses period.

Bret then Pinky handled my case. I was told this evening …. “As per Support, they are unable to validate your claim. As you see, if you will renew your plan by the time that your plan is still active, not expired, or is still within the 30-day grace period, the website will direct you to the correct path where you can renew for the correct price. To be honest, this is the first time that we received this kind of issue and that's the exact reason why we are unable to grant your request. “

The only conclusion for is that the “grace period” for me, and likely others with special circumstances, is fiction. AVID stuck me for $101. Buyer beware!

Last edited by DannyB_KY; 12-21-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:03 PM

Default Re: AVID Does Not Honor "Grace Period" Buyers Beware!

That's weird.

Both times I've had to renew my plan in the last 2 years, I was at least a fortnight over the due date.

Last year I purchased the renewal direct from the AVID store. This year I purchased it via RSPE due to the 20% sale. Both times the activation went fine. No issues at all.

I'm REALLY surprised they didn't refund you as like you stated, you were within the grace period and can prove it. It's not like you get an extra few weeks by doing this, as when applied, the renewal begins when it lapsed.

I'd chase it up further if I were you. Don't throw away $200!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

I'm REALLY surprised they didn't refund you as like you stated, you were within the grace period and can prove it. It's not like you get an extra few weeks by doing this, as when applied, the renewal begins when it lapsed.

I'd chase it up further if I were you. Don't throw away $200!

I'm surprised also. I thought AVID was an honest business. Support said no, so all I can do is share the information.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:11 PM

Get in touch with Jeffro on the forum and see if he can help you out.

He's fantastic and would go out of his way to sort it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2017, 11:05 PM

Sorry that you had trouble with renewal. There is a 30 day grace period that allows for renewal beyond the plan’s expiration date, so I’ll look into this to find out what happened and follow up via support case.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:18 AM

Sir, I greatly appreciate your effort to restore my account AND my faith in AVID.

FWIW, I suspect this glitch was generated by the 1st High Sierra version of Firefox being run on Sierra OSX. After this snafu occurred, I discovered there were widgets on eBay and Reverb that worked correctly using Safari, but did not work correctly on Firefox, my primary browser, until I upgraded that MBP to High Sierra. Those sites now work correctly on that machine with Firefox.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:09 AM

This may or may not be related, but it took two months to get a license upgrade from Sibelius-First to Sibelius 8.whatever to work through the website.

Avid activation support was extremely helpful, providing a temporary license until they got it fixed, just this past week. I was under the impression it was a website issue.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 12-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB_KY View Post
Sir, I greatly appreciate your effort to restore my account AND my faith in AVID.

FWIW, I suspect this glitch was generated by the 1st High Sierra version of Firefox being run on Sierra OSX. After this snafu occurred, I discovered there were widgets on eBay and Reverb that worked correctly using Safari, but did not work correctly on Firefox, my primary browser, until I upgraded that MBP to High Sierra. Those sites now work correctly on that machine with Firefox.
In most situations it isn't some sort of Machiavellian corporation trying to rob you of your hard earned cash, but rather just a systems error or human error.

Patience and perseverance usually gets the right result.

I've not had any issues with upgrade renewal, fwiw.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 12-21-2017, 10:50 AM

So it was you and not Avid where you called out Be aware

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-21-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB_KY View Post

Thank you for sharing that info. Your case shows that CS is still working on this and should be able to resolve it soon.