Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2011, 03:24 AM

Default Is the User Offset (ADC) really working??

Hello all,

I recently had the (rare) opportunity to try the ADC User Offset (Mix Window) and discovered I'm not sure what it really does (or doesn't).
So, today, I decided to test that feature and discovered (unless I'm missing something) that it doesn't really work the way it should.
Here's how I'm testing it:

I import audio (drums) on one track. I duplicate that track.
On that duplicated track, I insert a plug that introduce a 3072 samples delay.
With the Long ADC setting engaged, everything is fine and remains in sync.
Fine.

On that same duplicated track, I then insert another instance of the same plug so that the delay for that track goes up to 6144 (=2049 samples more than the maximum of 4095 in 44.1KHz). Everything goes red (and out of sync) as it's supposed to...
I then set the User Offset for that track to -2049, thinking it will compensate the difference, but the two tracks remain out of sync.
And, from what I hear, setting the value to zero gives the same "monitoring delay" than with 2049.

Isn't the User Offset option supposed to do precisely what I'm trying to do here?...
The manual says:
This field lets you adjust track delays manually while Delay Compensation is enabled. The User Offset is added to or subtracted from the amount of delay applied by Track Compensation.

In case someone asks, yes, inserting the Time Adjuster plug (set to 2049 samples) on the original track does work, but that's not the question here.
That question being: what is this option for if it doesn't compensate for anything?....

Thanks for any info.

Administrator of Brotools, free online tutorials for the french Pro Tools user.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Is the User Offset (ADC) really working??

I think you need to disable ADC for the track first..? Off the top of my head

(as opposed to make music :/ )
Old 05-20-2011, 07:26 AM

I'm not sure, once again the manual says:
This field lets you adjust track delays manually while Delay Compensation is enabled. The User Offset is added to or subtracted from the amount of delay applied by Track Compensation.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 AM

A quick look at ref manual, I couldn't find the answer or numbers to quote, but I'll use your numbers below and say what I believe is going on.

If the engine (buffer) is max 4095 samples, then trying to use user offset will still not get your 6144 late track in time with a click track as the engine would need to wait for 6144 samples to read the wave, and then place it 2049 early. It will still have to wait 6144 for your late track even with adjusting. 6144 is too much for the 4095 buffer. The only option is to hold off the click track for 2049 samples - which means increasing the engine buffer above 4095 to 6144.

Anyway that's what I told myself when I first saw this and nudged the track and adjusted and got it in.

The user adjust is more for outboard or plugins incorrectly reporting latency I believe. Edit: Or for latency induced during recording - however, I prefer to nudge by the required amount.

Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD2 View Post
I import audio (drums) on one track. I duplicate that track.
On that duplicated track, I insert a plug that introduce a 3072 samples delay.
With the Long ADC setting engaged, everything is fine and remains in sync.
Fine.

On that same duplicated track, I then insert another instance of the same plug so that the delay for that track goes up to 6144 (=2049 samples more than the maximum of 4095 in 44.1KHz). Everything goes red (and out of sync) as it's supposed to...
I then set the User Offset for that track to -2049, thinking it will compensate the difference, but the two tracks remain out of sync.
And, from what I hear, setting the value to zero gives the same "monitoring delay" than with 2049.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Last edited by MikeLip; 05-20-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 AM

Yep, I guess it's something like that, but still, the manual isn't really clear and it could have been usefull to be able to "nudge/offset" a track using this feature...
Anyway, I have to admit that the need for such a feature would be so rare (Audiosuite, Time adjuster or manual nudge are there for that) that it's more curiousity than anything else...

Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 AM

You know how DP has a MIDI to AUDI latency calibration system?

Will ADC work with time-stamped MIDI? Just curious. Or in 9 is it audio only (Plug-ins only).

What about a buss out to hardware and back in? Do you have to nudge the track back in phase?