Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-12-2010, 07:16 AM

Default Video sync offset

When I do a post work I have the PT edit window on one monitor and the related video is displayed on a second monitor (the same type). What setting should I set in the video sync offset dialog if my monitor has 8ms delay? 8ms is less than 1 quarter frame (but close to) when 25FPS. Thank you for your help.

Wojtek
Old 11-12-2010, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Video sync offset

It will probably be 1 or 2 quarter frames but there are variables and measuring is the best way to know. Syncheck can do that. You do not say which codec, some people have reported small changes in offset with different movie codecs, and of course monitors in real life do not behave like their spec sheets imply they will. The best way is to measure with a Syncheck. Second best, IMHO, is to set the offset to 1.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the info! Syncheck seems a good tool. I use different codecs (depends on the file I get from video studios). If it is an MPEG1 or h264 then I usually convert it to apple photo jpeg (because it is compatible with my work PT6). I understand you say '1' not '-1' as the offset. I'll try working with that and then I'll prepare a DVD to see it on my home video system.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:35 PM

I'm on dell lcd monitors and usually they run between 2-5 qf. no sync check, just eyes. I also use the guide track to check against when spotting material - that always helps
Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

I use 4qt frames, and it seems good.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 AM

Hi,
My manual method is to go to the 2 pop and give pro tools approximately 5 seconds pre roll then press play and enter my offset until the 2 pop sync looks right. You really will know when it is right.
It is amazing how reliable you eyes and ears are!
On the set up I'm currently using I have a 16 quarter frame offset.
Syncheck looks good but I really can't justify the cost.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
Hi,
My manual method is to go to the 2 pop and give pro tools approximately 5 seconds pre roll then press play and enter my offset until the 2 pop sync looks right. You really will know when it is right.
It is amazing how reliable you eyes and ears are!
On the set up I'm currently using I have a 16 quarter frame offset.
Syncheck looks good but I really can't justify the cost.
Not trying to be rude, I just dont quite understand the process. Could you please explain exactely how you do this?

Best wishes,

Mikkel
Old 11-14-2010, 02:28 AM

I used a Syncheck recently and the results suggested to me the method I think you are using is not viable: I found that the pictcture / video ofset needed would be different EVERY second. One second you could be +0.75, the next second -0.25, the next second +1, the next second -1. It was all over he place. (Your results may vary.)
Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idris View Post
I used a Syncheck recently and the results suggested to me the method I think you are using is not viable: I found that the pictcture / video ofset needed would be different EVERY second. One second you could be +0.75, the next second -0.25, the next second +1, the next second -1. It was all over he place. (Your results may vary.)
Was the delay jumping around on the SynCheck itself or what it noticeable on screen? I found that having less than fresh batteries in the SynCheck would make it erratic.

IMDb (very partial)
Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 AM

It was noticable on screen in as much as it just never looked right, though with the speed of the pips and inconsistency it was a sitution where you kept thinking "it's early ... no it's late ... oh hang on ... no itdefinitely late ... err was that in or out ... oh god I'm going mad!"
The Syncheck showed stable (though driffting) results via a Canopus so I'm pretty confident of the results.