Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 04-15-2015, 01:00 PM

Default Anyone go from D control to an s6? P

Any record guys here go from a D control 32 or larger to a large frame s6? Do you guys like it better? The s6 seems a smaller format to my eyes. As a music producer and mixer that cut my teeth on ssl's and a Focusrite Forte console I like big consoles. The d control feels big. I have to stand to reach the top knobs. I have not had a chance to see an s6 in person yet. Does the s6 give you that old school console feel or is it just all high tech?
Old 04-15-2015, 01:28 PM

Default Anyone go from D control to an s6? P

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Any record guys here go from a D control 32 or larger to a large frame s6? Do you guys like it better? The s6 seems a smaller format to my eyes. As a music producer and mixer that cut my teeth on ssl's and a Focusrite Forte console I like big consoles. The d control feels big. I have to stand to reach the top knobs. I have not had a chance to see an s6 in person yet. Does the s6 give you that old school console feel or is it just all high tech?

All high tech IMO.

And I don't mean that in a bad way.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Anyone go from D control to an s6? P

With Drew on that one. Although Our D Control doesn't feel like our SSL 4000+ it is IMHO much more stable feeling than the S6. The demo unit 32 fader M40 we tried monday felt less robist maybe than our D Control ES32 but it shure looks great

We are ordering either an S6 M40 or the Nuage 32/48 fader config but as I haven't seen the Nuage with PT I guess its a S6 for us.

.... But boy does the Nuage look AWESOME!! Feel way more robust and the layout is superb so ...

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-15-2015, 05:01 PM

The s6 looks like a spaceship. I have to go see it. S 6 in a large format custom desk would be the ticket.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:40 AM

Quote:
The s6 looks like a spaceship. I have to go see it. S 6 in a large format custom desk would be the ticket.
http://www.avidblogs.com/?portfolio=fried-music-2

This, with beefier legs would do it!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
http://www.avidblogs.com/?portfolio=fried-music-2

This, with beefier legs would do it!!

Now we're talking
Old 04-16-2015, 06:23 PM

Not D-Control but D-Commands. The S6 is much more compact. Sometimes it feels a little too compact since there are so many small buttons. Not a large feel for sure. In general they are less stable. With each release things improve but they still aren't there yet. And they still miss many of the beloved legacy features from the ICONs: like flip to fader, custom faders, and plugin mapping. We FINALLY got auto-talkback in the latest release. Didn't know how much I'd miss that till it was gone! There's a lot I really do like though and it has potential. The touch screen and softkey section are awesome. Tons of visual feedback especially if you get the meter bridge. It will get there, just not there yet.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:41 PM

The S6 can get pretty massive. It's a modular system, so build it as big as you want. But really- how big do you want it? Should a full size console mean getting up out of your chair to reach for a knob? IMO I'd rather not. A 9-knob M40 is pretty big.

But to answer the OPs question- it's definitely more high tech than old school console feel. Which is exactly why I love it. I hate old school console feel. This thing suits me fine. You'll probably be more comfortable with a D-Control.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
With Drew on that one. Although Our D Control doesn't feel like our SSL 4000+ it is IMHO much more stable feeling than the S6. The demo unit 32 fader M40 we tried monday felt less robist maybe than our D Control ES32 but it shure looks great

We are ordering either an S6 M40 or the Nuage 32/48 fader config but as I haven't seen the Nuage with PT I guess its a S6 for us.

.... But boy does the Nuage look AWESOME!! Feel way more robust and the layout is superb so ...
I regularly work on a D-control and we have two 5 MC. A few days ago I spent some time with an S6 again and was reminded how cheap and flimsy the rotary encoders feel. I quite like the S6, but I really miss solid knobs of the MC and I also feel that the main unit in no way can replace the MC Pro for editing.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks for starting this thread - great topic…

If you haven't checked out the Craig Bauer - Grammy winning music mixer blog and videos - he talks about his transition and evolution from a 32 fader D-Control. He has a producers desk and extra bucket on the side and it makes it feel bigger than a D-Control. I'm sure he'd answer any questions you have - he's on Facebook and answers questions there.

http://www.avidblogs.com/my-music-mi...ion-with-avid/

Our upcoming Webinar with multi-Grammy winning mixer Mick Guzauski talks about his 32 fader S6 and why he didn't like D-Control and it didn't suit him. You can register here for the June 4th webinar:

http://connect.avid.com/ProMixing_Mick.html

Mick's 32 fader also has a producer's desk.

Hope to see you on the webinar!

Thanks,
Tom

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/