Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 PM

Default Dual Hard Drives? Why?

Hey all,

I was advised a while back to purchase a secondary drive for my system specifically for recording purposes. I now have a WD Caviar Blue as my main system drive and a WD Caviar Black as my recording drive. I was encountering issues prior to this upgrade (9073 errors or something) and they have since stopped.

Why is a secondary drive required for Pro-Tools? I understand that it is beneficial to performance, but I just don't understand why the errors occur if one is not present. Never seen anything like this working with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and other high end programs. Can anyone give me an explanation in lamans terms? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Dual Hard Drives? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasconito View Post
Hey all,

I was advised a while back to purchase a secondary drive for my system specifically for recording purposes. I now have a WD Caviar Blue as my main system drive and a WD Caviar Black as my recording drive. I was encountering issues prior to this upgrade (9073 errors or something) and they have since stopped.

Why is a secondary drive required for Pro-Tools? I understand that it is beneficial to performance, but I just don't understand why the errors occur if one is not present. Never seen anything like this working with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and other high end programs. Can anyone give me an explanation in lamans terms? Thanks in advance.
since protools works with many many audio files at once, there is a tonne of data moving around. its simply not possible for a single hard drive to supply data for the wave files, and host the operating system, and host protools ect.

Glad you got a working rig now!

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 12-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post
since protools works with many many audio files at once, there is a tonne of data moving around. its simply not possible for a single hard drive to supply data for the wave files, and host the operating system, and host protools ect.

Glad you got a working rig now!

Nick
I understand that, and I realize it would improve performance exponentially, but how come software such as Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 will work just fine on a single drive? It just seems a bit weird. I am assuming other production programs have tons of data moving around also and they do it fine with one drive.

In addition, it seems like they removed this restriction from Pro-Tools 9 (http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=380567). Am I safe to assume this was a programming flaw on the part of the makers of Pro-Tools LE?

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. I'm just trying to understand my software
Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 PM

Having two drives has always been advised even in video editing. I do audio recording and mixing, while a friend of mine is actually very active as a professional video editor. And in both fields, it has always been recommended to have one system drive (including daws) and one media drive.

There is also a very very big difference with a program that is used in photography and those used in audio recording and video editing. The two laters are a lot more heavy on the bandwidth information being used.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:40 AM

The other thing for video or audio editing, is that there's a lot more wear and tear on the hard drive, when it's constantly skipping around trying to find different files. This will probably shorten the life of the hard drive. If you're always backing up your audio stuff, it's not a big deal if your hard drive goes. But it's a little more hassle if it unnessacarily happens to your system drive.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasconito View Post
In addition, it seems like they removed this restriction from Pro-Tools 9 (http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=380567). Am I safe to assume this was a programming flaw on the part of the makers of Pro-Tools LE?
I think you may have overlooked the sentence in the page you linked to near the top that says: "The following disk drives have been tested and approved by Avid for use with Pro Tools HD 9.0 and Pro Tools 9.0 as Audio Record and Playback drives."
PT10, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Eleven Rack, i7 950 @3.80GHz, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GA-X58A-UD3R, Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB, SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache OS drive, 2x Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Sata3 (Audio and library), Broadcom BCM94322MC wireless network adapter
W7 - 312 dverbs @ 64 buffer/ 403 dverbs @ 1024
Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 AM

Consider what the system drive is doing all the time. It is working on finding and executing all your commands, plus there's a lot of stuff going on in the background that we are not even aware of. Then consider that all this is done with one playhead, accessing the entire drive(because files can be spread all over a drive-a good reason why drives need to be de-fragged now and then). Then look at the recording drive which needs to stream audio files(maybe 2, 16, 24, 48 or even 128 tracks). That playhead has a lot to do, so it would get really bad if it had to chase down software and program instructions at the same time. I bet if you tell Adobe PhotoShop to render a large photo file, it would not allow you to do much while its rendering. The system I am typing on(with a single drive and a dual core cpu with 4gig of RAM) gets really sluggish when I extract a large rar file.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-02-2011, 05:14 PM

And think of it this way....how much is a good robust hard drive? $75? And how many ALBUMS can you get on that drive? 10? More? It wasn't that long ago that a reel of 2" tape was $110, and you only got 30 minutes of 23 tracks on it (had to give up one for time-code!) Plus, it was not advisable to EVER use that reel again. So I can't understand ANYONE having issue with spending a few extra dollars for a secondary drive. We are truly in a "best bang for the buck" situation here. And yes, even Photoshop works MUCH more efficiently rendering files on a secondary drive.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Pretty much all Adobe products advise a "scratch" drive as well.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 AM

Yes - as a systems admin - I agree. The speed needed for the disk writes, and monitoring the audio all at the same time requires the second disk. There is lots going on there. . . and the dual disk config. makes it possible. :)