Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 PM

Default How to insert hardware as channel insert

Hi Friends,

I have been trying to get my vocal processor, Tascam TA-1VP vocal processor connected correctly with my 003 (PT 8.0 windows), but I don't understand the language difference between my Tascam manual and my Pro Tools manual.

Currently I have the mic cord plugged into the front of my Tascam unit, and a TRS running from the MAIN LINE OUT of the TA1VP into Insert 1 in the back of my 003.

This is OK, but I have to get the settings right and then record vocals, whereas if I do it the "preferred" method I'll be able to affect already recorded vocals as an insert, allowing me to make changes without rerecording all the vocals.

Tascam prefers me (I presume) to put my mic into the back of my 003, let's say Input 1 via VST. From there they want a cord going from LINE IN on the TA1VP to "Insert Send" and a cord going from MAIN LINE OUT to "Insert Return." If Insert Send/Return are both on one jack on my mixer, they tell me, I can use a "Y" cable.

However, on the back of the 003 unit there are no "Insert Send" or "Insert Return" jacks, only "Inputs" and "Outputs." The "Outputs" are not individually numbered. I'm really not sure how I'm supposed to wire this. If "Inputs"= "insert Sends" then I'm still confused as to whether I use Input 1 to connect the TA1VP, since I'd already be using it as the input for the microphone VST jack.

There is a third method I can use that will use up multiple mixer channels, but it requires a DIRECT OUT jack on the back of my 003, and that does not exist either.

Anyone have an idea on how to insert hardware processors as an insert?

Thanks,

Colin
Old 01-18-2012, 03:08 PM

Default Re: How to insert hardware as channel insert

First stop is the pdf manual for pro Tools as it (should) have a section on "hardware inserts". Then, the outputs of the oo3 are indeed numbered(mine are anyway) and setting up an insert path is done in the IO setup section, Inserts tab. Basically, it tells you to select a matched set of IO(such as input 5 AND output 5) to be a hardware insert path. Then you can insert that path in place of a plugin on the track. Assuming you are running PT8(since this is the LE section) you won't have delay compensation, in which case, I would simply set the output of your vocal track to any open output and feed that to the LINE input of the Tascam. Feed the LINE output of the Tascam to any LINE input of the 003(5 thru 8 would be good for this, set to the +4 position on the rear switch(on the 003). Create a new AUDIO track and select that line input and maybe engage Input Only monitoring(Alt-K), with the Tascam track in record-ready, while you adjust the settings of the Tascam(expect there to be a small latency, but ignore it for now). Once your settings are good, Hit Alt-K again to revert to Auto-Input monitoring, put this track into record(and record the vocal processed thru the Tascam). Once recording is done, zoom in at the first bit of waveform and look at the original(unprocessed) audio, and nudge or spot your new audio so its lined up with the original(now you have compensated for the latency and your new audio should be in perfect sync with the track). Don't try to listen to both the original AND the processed tracks together as they will phase against each other(just a byproduct of the processing). If you have PT9 or later, you can enter a delay compensation amount in the IO setup section and skip the later part about nudging. Sorry this is so long winded, but I wanted to cover all the bases for you.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2012, 04:22 PM

Thank you sir! Yes, my outputs are numbered, and feel pretty stupid that I couldn't see that. Frustration clouds vision. This makes better sense, and I will try my mic into Input 1 (VST) on 003, Main out on TASCAM to Input 5 on 003(with +4 button pushed in), and LINE IN to Output 5 on 003. I will come back and let you know how that goes. As for the second part, guess I'll burn that bridge when I cross it...or something like that.

Thank you for your help! Know it's probably annoying helping people who are beyond beginners, such as myself. I do try and go off manuals, p69-70 has some on connecting analog external devices that helps, especially with your corresponding information.

Have a great night,
Colin
Old 01-19-2012, 07:29 AM

LGO

Austin what' up.........ATX
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.