Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-14-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Editing & tracks getting cut

Hi There,

There's an editing feature that is eluding me somehow and would really love some help. It's probabaly so simple I'm overlooking it.

When I edit in other DAWs, if I: 1. punch in over a recorded track, or 2. Drag another audio region and drop it on top of some existing audio, the region/tracks underneath DO NOT DISSAPEAR! After I move the region 'on top' out of the way, Pressing F6 to get the Region Trim tool does not allow me to re-expand audio regions underneath to their original length/size.

when I do these things in ProTools, the audio is either gone or a new region is made (ie. kickdrum_01 is now kikdrum_01-01) Then I look through the audiofiles list and find kikdrum_01 and have to drag that back in to regain the original track.

What am I missing? Is there a way to fly regions around, and if they overlap, the audio under them is kept in the edit window?

Thanks,
Jaylaca