Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2016, 08:57 PM

Default 12.3.1 or 12.4 or 12.5 HD?

Hi guys,

Old dude here is finally (after paying for it since December 2014) going to install a "post HD 10.3.8" system.

Got my SSD with some extra space for sustained writes, have 10.10.5 on it for Eucon to be happier.

I see a lot of fellow 'old dogs' on here running 12.4 instead of 12.5?

Others saying 12.3.1 is "the Golden Child".

I don't mind a crash or two a day, but I do mind full scale noise blasts, constant 9173 errors and "beachballs and / or Pro Tools Poofing".

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered lately. I went through the top 3 or so pages and didn't see much.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:05 AM

Default Re: 12.3.1 or 12.4 or 12.5 HD?

12.5.1 should be available "mid may" -- iow, any day now. I'd wait for that and use the latest
Old 05-19-2016, 05:43 AM

Default Re: 12.3.1 or 12.4 or 12.5 HD?

Ah yes "Old Dogs and Children and Watermelon Wine" ( the good ol days)

Perhaps you could list your system details ?

At first glance from all the posts it appears as if 12.5 has been problematic.
However being an Ol' Dog an such, historically it should be noted that appearances can be less than accurate and "significant" problems with new releases may be the case, or may not really be the case, and this has been true with almost ever major new release since Oh say version 5
That said I do think there is perhaps a somewhat higher number of software bugs in 12.5

Some things that I think we can assume that happens now and historically on this forum is:
#1 those who have problems are typically much more likely to post their complaints , than who's systems are running fine and may be to busy making music to bother posting on a forum. So in reality it is really hard to get an accurate notion of the actual percentages of any kind of ----having actual software bug problems---- to not having problems, or the percent of actual software caused problems, opposed to self inflicted problems ?

#2 Many without of those posting about problems , even if they post their system details, do not inform the circumstances of their installation process (like whether or not they did the recommended "clean install")

#3 Also this round of problems (as historically usually be the case ) seems to be more prevalent in Windows machines ? Which to my mind is objectively and fairly predictable. It has kind of always eluded me why many users of windows machines, while enjoying the lower cost of for performance potential and the almost unlimited configuration potential of PC . fail to understand the mathematical reality of the difference between Avid attempting to test and qualify machines from Mac and the hugely exponential larger problem of and qualifying PC machines

I any case as noted in my sig line system, my system seems as stable or better as ever, on PTHD Native running 12.4 on Yosemite 10.10.5 good luck........

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 05-19-2016 at 07:46 AM.