Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2001, 09:18 AM

Default A/B testing of outboard Lexicon Reverb versus Waves Renaissance

I checked a clean Fender Start sound (small amount of compression) on SM57-miked Vox AC15 on a setup with the Renaissance Reverb against the outboard Lexicon MPX500. Note that I was sending the MPX500 directly through my PA, not in and out of the 001, to avoid another round trip of AD-DA.
I used Large Hall 1 on RVerb versus the Large Hall on the Lex, and made sure the parameters were as close as possible.
By closing my eyes and switching back and forth, I truly could not detect *any* difference. That was amazing in fact.

I also compared the Ping-Pong effect setting of the Waves 2 Tap Delay against the same parameters of my outboard TCE D-Two. Thsi time, I found that the Waves plug-in was generating delayed sounds with less high-filtering than the TCE. Somehow, the TCE does not keep the highest frequencies (the little crunch of the tube amp with mild compression) although I went in the setup and remove any EQ or filtering of the delayed signal. The Waves delay was truer to the original sound in terms of EQ, but it was more brittle, with a small amount of intermodulation added on the amp's mild crunch in the 4-6k range.

I would be useful to hear other such tests done by users.
My next step is the MondoMod chorus against the Lexicon MPX500.
3X 500GB 7,200 SATA DRIVES
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 12-27-2001, 10:49 AM

Default Re: A/B testing of outboard Lexicon Reverb versus Waves Renaissance

I did a similar experiment with Rverb and The TC electronic M2000. The M2000 was MUCH cleaner...it just had a more pleasing sound to the reverb. Light and spacious. Although each reverb has it's own color and can be used in different situations, I would say that the M2000 has far superior algorhithms.

This thread is a very good idea...I hope a lot of people contribute.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:48 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> intermodulation <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow. I haven't heard that word in about 2 - 3 years.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:54 AM

Not sure if intermodulation is the right word, but it seems that if you listen carefully, PTLE and some plug-ins tend to add a very small amount of high frequency noise, no exactly easy to describe in words, like brittle. The Lexicon direct sound did not produce this. I remember reading an interview of Steve vai way back then, where he also noticed that PT has this phenomena. It's very minor, though, and I'm perfectly happy with my 001.
3X 500GB 7,200 SATA DRIVES
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 12-28-2001, 09:16 AM

I'm wondering if a little eq. wouldn't clear that up? I know what you are talking about though.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2001, 04:01 PM

I have done one or two such plugin/outboard comparisons so far with PT.Dunno how applicable they may bebut here goes:

First one was last year,when I was an assistant engineer on an album by a well known Jazz guitarist.One of my jobs was to sounce any and all equipment this guy requiested,so I spent my days lugging every gawdamn tube amp on and off the market from shop or collectors house or stage to the studio.This guy would not even try amp farm cause it wasnt hardware.After all was done me and the head engineer decided to do some comparisons,using different axes,mics,pres and amps,against ampfarm.And the results were....inconclusive.What we did learn was that ampfarm was much cheaper,easier and friendlyer to the poor engineer,and that most people would not be able to tell the difference.In fact we tested the a/b recordings on some people after that,and often the guessed wrong,but they always guessed.

The secont test was the sansamp plugin against the sansamp pedal and the rackmount version.In this case the plugin was clearly superior to both in S/N ratio,userfrienlyness,flexibility and sound.We sold the rackmount to someone we didnt like and I kept the pedal cause I'm sentimental about these things.I still have it,but I've never ever used it since.

Another test was between the focusrite compressors,the EQ's and the related outboard Reds.Here I voted for the plug ins simply becuase the GUI made setting it up so much easier.And you got many tracks of it insted of just the one stereo insert the outboards give you.Soundquality wasnt remarkable different wehn used with Protools,but the outboard units sounded a lot fuller in both the high end and bottom end whan used of an analogue deck.gues 48 is 48 no matter what you do to it.
Old 12-28-2001, 04:33 PM

Great post Peter,
I did some mixing on my newest song today and was amazed at what I could do with just the Ren. eq. Definitely worth learning these Rennaisance plugins for starters. I backed off on the reverb after getting the EQ set and the vocals sound much better. Hard to believe a 2000.00 outboard mic preamp or reverb unit would make that much difference now. Think I'll save my money. Especially after buying some new Monster Cable Studio Pro 1000 mic. cable. OUch!
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]