Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2015, 12:54 AM

Default Quick question for an HD Native Thunderbolt owner

The OP never clearly said what model computers he was using, just mentioned one is a MacBook Pro. The other could be anything, maybe an old Mac Pro.

All reasons why a clear description of *exactly* what model/date code/model number Mac you are trying to plug into what, where and how would help.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:08 AM

Default Quick question for an HD Native Thunderbolt owner

Yes it would but a 2011/2012 MBP would have TB, wouldn't it? At least my mid-2011 MBA has it...
Old 08-13-2015, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Quick question for an HD Native Thunderbolt owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes it would but a 2011/2012 MBP would have TB, wouldn't it? At least my mid-2011 MBA has it...
Yes it should have Thunderbolt if it is a Early 2011 or later 13" or 15" MacBook Pro,... but we are not hearing a totally clear description of exactly what the model is so until then... mistaking a Mini DisplayPort connection for Thunderbolt seems a good suspect/first thing to exclude.

Next after that would be to check with a different known good Thunderbolt cable. Make sure no other peripherals are daisy chained on the Thunderbolt port (including no displays).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-13-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:18 AM

Hey guys... OP here.

Yes, I do know the difference between TB and Mini Displayport.

Turned out that the it was somehow related to the Avid provided TB cable. I bought a shorter one and it worked with the MBP and with the Hackintosh that was my main PT rig. I haven't tried that cable since...

Now with my new Mac Pro (trashcan) everything is rocking.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Consider the case closed.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:27 AM

OK cool, Thunderbolt cables are active (have driver chips inside them) so maybe a bit more prone to damage than straight wire cables. I would try to test that cable with another Thunderbolt device and chuck it if it does not work perfectly.