Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2017, 09:09 AM

Default Media Composer | First

So I have never been a video guy....just never caught my attention.

Used to work in a small television production studio and mainly I was the tech hooking up all the equipment .... from the actual transmitter and antenna to installing the A/C in the building....(it was a small setup)

Anywho...a guy I know told me he would show me how to use FCP b/c I needed something done for a concert we are going to have in July....then 12.8 came out and so did this MCF.

I downloaded it and have been watching a few videos...it seems pretty cool (its free).

What do the people that actually use this type of software (professionally or otherwise) think about this?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Media Composer | First

... also interested in opinions here! :)

Looks great for relatively simple non-4k/Rec. 2020 work i.e. will suit lots of people who are OK with the included effects and don't need plugins, etc. I've downloaded - just a couple of survey screens once logged-in to your Avid account.

For DUC members who occasionally do some basic video work, it would have been great if Avid had allowed for proper Pro Tools integration ... maybe even using the cloud functionality (potentially another value-add for our subscriptions and no use to anyone who does not pay for 'full' Pro Tools) ... but my quick read of the FAQs suggests that using Media Composer First would still involve simple round-tripping of a stereo WAV track in my workflow.

For my own occasional video stuff, I (+ family!) currently use FCPX but I also collaborate ('over the shoulder' + FrameIO/WeTransfer + sometimes audio using PT on locked edit) on Premiere/Davinci Resolve projects (+ have used Vegas previously).

I've suggested to my video guy that he should try MC First - he's a 'dabbler' anyway and if he likes it, might upgrade ... but that would be another $49/month on top of Adobe CC just for my convenience (assuming PT integration - not used it before), so I doubt that we would be Avid's target.

Maybe Avid (does Marianna still check-in here?) likes the above PT integration suggestion as a means of carrying the PT community further into the Avid ecosystem and away from what I suspect many currently do i.e. free version of DVR or one-off $299 for 'Studio' or FCPX?!

Or maybe the type of user I'm representing here could be addressed just by allowing for third-party (not Avid Marketplace exclusively) AAX audio plugins (not video plugins i.e. still restricting the core NLE functionality) as I suspect that much of the audio work could be done in MC with access to our full PT toolset. Again, AAX is PT-only, although many plugin developers do allow VST/AU users to also download the AAX version, so this wouldn't necessarily restrict this benefit to PT users only! :)