Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-17-2019, 05:28 AM

Default Re: C'mon Man!!!! (Pro Tools and Hyperthreading)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I do find it amusing people getting mega heated about software piracy, but many are willing to turn a blind eye to people running Mac OS on a non Apple machine.
I find it amusing people defending a company that has completely abandoned their professional users. At this point, apple is lucky that people are building the machines they SHOULD be building instead of abandoning the platform.

I have a 12 core trashcan and two 7980xe hacks as well as 36TB hack server. The hacks run better than the trashcan, and strict apple users have no idea how much they are missing compared to state of the art native.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I do find it amusing people getting mega heated about software piracy, but many are willing to turn a blind eye to people running Mac OS on a non Apple machine.

Out of sight, out of mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And I find it further amusing when somebody running a Hack comes on here and bitches about having problems with PT on it.

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I find it amusing people defending a company that has completely abandoned their professional users. At this point, apple is lucky that people are building the machines they SHOULD be building instead of abandoning the platform.

I have a 12 core trashcan and two 7980xe hacks as well as 36TB hack server. The hacks run better than the trashcan, and strict apple users have no idea how much they are missing compared to state of the art native.

You’ve totally missed my point.

FYI - I setup a Hackintosh when Tiger was the current Mac OS. Wasn’t as easy as it is now.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:02 AM

Default Re: C'mon Man!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There is no such thing as a legal Hackintosh and having a sticker on a case means nothing. I still submit that system you're running is the problem and you can't expect for Avid to have any sympathy for you. Maybe if you ran a true Mac you'd have success.
You heroes know nothing!!! I have 2 MacBook Pros, one 15" and one 17"...Because I built my own Mac Pro you are saying its not legal? If this is the case then why does Apple allow installation of OS X on any supported hardware? Apple hardware is nothing more than the regular PC people have at home, Apple just puts their "Apple Logo" on it and say "Hey look we have our own product" but inside the case is a Gigabyte motherboard, Intel Processor and Corsair memory. Think of it like this, HP sells computers with Microsoft pre-installed, so does that mean I cannot install Linux on that computer? What Apple did was take an OS and try to make it their own and Apple knows in COURT they would lose the argument of people installing that OS onto any system. What the courts have decided in the past was people cannot SELL them but the court said people can install OS X onto any PC they choose because if they couldn't it would be a monopoly since Apple opened up on using Intel Processors. Trust me I know more about this than most of you do, I've been building these machines since I think it was around 2006. I've built over a 1,000 PCs, dozens of servers (mickey softs) and a few OS X Servers. Now I am not saying I know everything because I don't but don't sit here and belittle people because they choose to buy OS X and install it on the same hardware that Apple uses. I buy everything, I don't pirate nothing and I surely don't steal like some of you on here do. I've paid over $5k for the software I have from originally purchasing Pro Tools, then the upgrade now the monthly subscription. I've purchased Akai Pro Studio only to be thwarted by Akai on the current "Aka Software" to force people to buy the upgrade. I've paid what close to $500 for Omnisphere 2 then the $400 for Keyscape, thousands of dollars for ReFX and their expansions, approx $4k for my Korg Kronos X and thousands of dollars for the expansions.

So trust me I know a lot more than you think. But nobody has answered why whenever I load a plugin into Pro Tools 2018 I get dropouts but if I load VEP5 then load the plugin that way its fine, no issues at all. And please do not say its my hardware because its not. Its most likely something software side and it could be within OS X itself. So, I have install High Sierra on one of my other SSDs, which I have 10 HDDs, 4 which are SSDs and all operating systems are installed on the SSDs. I will test that out to see if it makes a difference.

I've never complained about Pro Tools except their subscription stunt so now I complain something legit and boom I get hammered for it. So the way I see it, no wonder a lot of people don't come on here because of people like some of ya who are arrogant and selfish.

Yes I Googled and EVERY single link pointing to the forums the MODERATOR always says "Turn off HT"....Its 2019 and when MODs are telling people to turn of HT that shows me Pro Tools is not setup for HT like every other DAW is. You show me one other DAW besides Pro Tools that is not setup for HT I will shut up. I have used Logic and others and they support HT perfectly.

EDIT:

One last thing I had no issue until this last update!!! So think about it...Geez instead of arguing with people maybe some should think of helping or giving advice. If you come in a post just to argue on what a person has installed maybe its best to just shut up and don't post at all!!! Very selfish people in this world and I mean very selfish!!!

Good day!!!
Old 02-17-2019, 07:33 AM

I have run PT on both platforms for years, including self build PCs and have always run with HT enabled. I don't do hackintosh but it sounds like a hardware or driver issue to me.

Avoiding polarizing statements on OS viability and focusing on practical troubleshooting, you might want to try running Windows 7 or 10 on a different drive just as a test to see if the system behavior improves.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:38 AM

Default Re: C'mon Man!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman01 View Post
You heroes know nothing!!! I have 2 MacBook Pros, one 15" and one 17"...Because I built my own Mac Pro you are saying its not legal? If this is the case then why does Apple allow installation of OS X on any supported hardware?
Apple does NOT allow installation of OSX on anything other Apple hardware; doesn't matter whether that h/w is supported or not. To do otherwise goes against the EULA as you've already been told. Have you looked at the links Manny provided?

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2019, 08:44 AM

Let's see! Hyperthreading is two "Virtual", "Pseudo" or "Fake" cores running on one "REAL" core that require some sort of overhead in the microcode taking up cycles. These "Virtual" cores are not full speed either, you can't get something for nothing. I've been building PCs for 35 years, longer than some members here have been alive and pretty much every optimization guide I've seen for a DAW in the 1st 25-30 years of that 35 have suggested that you turn hyperthreading OFF!. The new $420 Intel i7 9700K 8 Core CPU doesn't even have hyperthreading, it's 8 cores & 8 threads, plain & simple. I just ordered parts for a new system that has a i9 9900K CPU and i'm fairly determined at this point to turn hyperthreading off. I want real cores running full-tilt boogie, not fake ones sharing cycles and if you're running a M-Audio interface with contracted, inefficient drivers it shouldn't really matter in the 1st place.

EDIT: I consider a Hackintosh to be "Off Label" use of OSX.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 02-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Bro, protools handling of cpu is TRASH!

I made a post about it not long ago. When will they fix this is MUTE!

So use Vienna and just keep working brother.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:49 PM

Yeah regardless of how he is using what, everyone knows pt isn’t the best at utilizing HT.

It’s been historically off and on, hit and miss.

They just don’t have the time or skills to better the CPU utilization of the program.

There’s always the workarounds....ever since TDM days....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Is there some sort of apple police coming to water board you for hackintosh? Haha.
No police but you could in theory
see someone serving a subpoena

Probably not likely (unless you try to go into business selling Hackentosh's with Apple OS loaded ).. but even for personal use it is technically a breach of contract and would definitely allow Apple to bring lawsuit if they chose to do so.

Violating a contract like a EULA would usually be considered a civil breach of contract not a criminal act. (usually)

That said: in the only case law I found. Apple was able to successfully get a permanent injunction against Psystar form selling Hackentosh'es with OS loaded And in the ruling the court also found copyright infringement because Apple has three registered copyrights on it's OS. And Psystar was illegally copying and distributing said copies of the OS

here is the actual court ruling

https://c-3sux78kvnkay76x24cccx2emx78uqrgcx2etkz.g00.cnet.co m/g00/3_c-3ccc.itkz.ius_/c-3SUXKVNKAY76x24nzzvx3ax2fx2fccc.mx78uqrgc.tkzx2fvj l8x2fVyeyzgx78-870.vjl_$/$/$?i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=4

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...