Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 08-15-2017, 02:28 PM

Default Mbox 3: Input 1 stopped working

While using two mics to record through my Mbox 3 input 1 stopped working completely. I've checked all the inputs and switches and they are as they should be. I reinstalled drivers, rebooted my PC, and tried different instruments and still have no signal. Input 2 works fine. Everything else seems to be working correctly. It seems to have come to the point when I need to take it to a service center for repair. I have an M-Audio Fast Track but am unable to get PT Express to recognize the hardware. If I could use the fast track while mbox 3 was being repaired I'd at least be able to continue working. Do any of you guys know a way to solve this issue with the Mbox 3 or is repair the best option? And is there a way to use my old fast track with PT Express? Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Mbox 3: Input 1 stopped working

Presumably your Pro Tools Express came with that Mbox and so is license locked to it.

Unless you can work on the electronics yourself or know somebody who can help you out trying to repair is unlikely to make financial sense, even factoring in upgrading Pro Tools Express to a different DAW. I would throw it out and buy something else.... if you *really* want to keep using Pro Tools Express then buy a used one (I don't now what authorization or other stuff you need, but I would make sure the original authorization cards etc. are all included with whatever you buy).

Hopefully you've done basic troubleshooting like swapping the mic/cables between inputs, measuring the phantom power voltage (if the Mic is a condenser or other type that needs phantom power), jiggling plugs in the input jacks, etc. since it's effectively worthless if you are even only slightly handy with a electronics I'd open it up and play. Common failure points are the input jack and gain potentiometer and you can often do pretty good signal tracing injecting a low level sine wave from the signal gen plugin out a line output into the preamp input and tracing the circuit with an AC voltmeter.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-15-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Mbox 3: Input 1 stopped working

Could I use an interface from a different company and keep working with PT Express?