Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-21-2016, 09:30 PM

Default 12.7 upgrade experience

Avid, I know you publish an install procedure for new installs but, it would be helpful for existing users to get a step by step upgrade procedure when moving from say 12.6.1 to 12.7. Here is my experience to help you understand what a person goes through.

Should we completely uninstall the prior version? I would like an official position on that because over the last few years I just install over the previous version and it's never caused a problem.

First I tried the application manager and it said I had 3 new files to install. It does not however provide the order of the installs. There was a note about installing the cloud services first so that's what I did. Should we install the new App manager software prior to the upgrade? Not clear but I assumed it should occur, even though it's 3rd on the list. Then I was thinking I would install 12.7 from the app manager, so far so good. Now I go for the big tuna which is the actual 12.7 upgrade. Click download, click install.....wait.....failed. Tells me to contact support. How exciting.

Thinking I needed a reboot (how would I really know, there is no indication if these are required between installs) I leave the app manager and then went to check the iLok software to make sure there was not a corresponding update required, which there was, but in none of the instructions does it advise you to upgrade their software prior to the install, or even after the install.

Go to iLok site, log in, get new software, reboot.

Next I tried the app manager 12.7 upgrade thinking all my bases are covered i.e. cloud services upgraded, check, app manager upgraded, check, iLok upgraded, check. Run app manager again, clik on 12.7 install.....wait....failed.

Obviously app manager is not working in Windows 10 for upgrading the main package even though it does work for all the lesser features and plugins.

Brute force....

I go to the Avid site, log in, go to my subscription, download all the files including all the new loops, thank you, and download to my hard drive. Unnzip and run the key files. Reboot. Now it all works.

The point of my message being, it's not a smooth process and things that are supposed to work don't. Biggest gripe, you don't publish a step by step of upgrading to the next rev.

Last - ever since two Windows 10 updates ago, when I reboot my machine, Protools thinks the Windows Endpoint builder and Windows Audio are stalled, or can't leverage them to initiate the audio engine. If I go in manually, stop and restart these services, PT finds them and can initiate the audio engine.

So experienced users may have come to just deal with all these guessing your way through the install but it would be a nice customer gesture to document things to check and let us know the order of install as well as when a new iLok update will be required with a roll out.

Over and out.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:48 PM

Default Re: 12.7 upgrade experience

Mine updated from the app manager without 0 issues! On Sierra.

Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61, Focal Alpha 80, UAD 2 Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Satellite Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Neve R6 "Lunch Box", Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Neumann TLM49

Pro Tools 2018.10

Mac Pro 4,1 (5,1 upgrade), Early-2009, 3.46GHz Nehalem 12-Core, 32GB RAM - OS 10.12.6

13" MacBook Pro, Late-2011, 2.4GHz Dual Core i5, 16GB RAM - OS 10.12.6

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - OS 10.12.6
Old 12-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Default Re: 12.7 upgrade experience

I always download the installers from my Avid account and I always Uninstall the previous of PT (PT only and not the HD driver but you could Uninstall that also) before I install the new version. This has always worked for me on Windows 7 or Windows 10 without issue. The only time I had issues was when I tried to install over the previous version which I won't do again.

GigabyteX79-UP4 Rev 1.1
Xeon E5 2680 v.2. 10 Core cpu Windows10 v.1909
Avid HDX 2019.10 HD - 16x16 - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - AVID Artist Mix (2)
Universal Audio UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo - Pci-E Quad - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Antelope Trinity - 10M
Grace Design M905
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Burl B2
Dangerous 2Bus
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Etc, etc, etc.