Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-22-2021, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Anyone use EQ-III for mastering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We use a Mastering Engineer for that, not a hyped Plugin

And EQIII ...would never use it for anything.
I sometimes use it as an automatable HPF for tracks that aren't crucial (i.e. reverb returns). Not to dump on EQIII, but there are much better options in 2021 which don't break the bank.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:25 PM

Mastering and plugins... ugh, well qualified ME may use digital nowadays but the point of Mastering is fresh set of ears that have not tracked and mixed the stuff and best case scenario ME just says all is well and nothing needs to be done. And if something needs to be done a really good ME does it analog, not plugins.

Mastering used to mean the process of preparing material for vinyl (making sure low frequencies would not make the needle jump), but today it means the final ******** you need to do to destroy last bits of dynamics from your song.

I mean, if you have not managed to destroy your material before "mastering" plugins is easy way to get the job done.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:22 PM

The Weiss DS1 hardware cost $10,000

Weiss DS1-MK3 software costs $549

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...weiss-plug-ins

“Going beyond emulation, Softube painstakingly ported each line of code from the DS1-MK3 to create a true recreation officially licensed and endorsed by the one and only Daniel Weiss. This is not an imitation or a knock-off, this IS a Weiss.
The DS1-MK3 operates at up to 32-bit/192 kHz resolution and allows multiple instances, each with a compressor, limiter, and de-esser. The compressor offers speed unattainable by analog devices and the limiter includes three algorithms-the original Weiss and two new creations. De-essing duties are made easier via selectable filters and frequencies. The DS1-MK3's stereo channels can be linked, unlinked, or used in mid-side configuration. The selectable sidechain link, parallel compression, and safe limiter modes increase flexibility and precision while the waveform metering view provides a clear visual reference. A substantial bonus is the slew of presets from legendary mastering engineer Bob Katz, winner of multiple Grammy awards and author of "Mastering Audio," a revered source of truth for recording, mixing, and mastering engineers.”

Purchase of the DS1-MK3 also includes the intelligent Weiss MM-1 Mastering Maximizer plug-in, the Weiss Deess de-essing plug-in and the Weiss Compressor/Limiter plug-in.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:26 PM

And …

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...ring_comp.html

Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor Class A

Great plug-in!
Old 01-22-2021, 03:58 PM

My point is:

Sure, all the Top Hits use Mastering Engineers – but we should try “the best we can” to do it ourselves – if only to compare our attempt with the Mastering Engineer’s superior version.

Life, like Pro Tools, is a learning curve!

https://blog.landr.com/the-worlds-to...ering-studios/

http://mcrow.net/5-best-mastering-engineers-pro-blog/

https://www.abbeyroad.com/mastering

1st: That's Life
2nd: What's Life?
1st: Magazine
2nd: How much?
1st: Two Bob
2nd: Only got a Bob!
1st: That's life
2nd: What's Life?
(this conversation can last to ∞ if needed!)

2 from Bob:
https://tapeop.com/interviews/30/bob-olhsson/

https://www.historyofrecording.com/bobolhsson.html

Last edited by unkJE; 01-22-2021 at 04:18 PM. Reason: How much?
Old 01-22-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Quite a large difference.
I would say YES to that aswell.

And to unkJE::

Why do you think the HW of Weiss is 10K and a ”emulation attempt” is a cost of 5% of that HW ?? My guess .... It is A LOT BETTER SOUNING! So of course we can use what we have but lets maybe stop saying ”Mastering”!! It is like saying I am a Racecar driver just because I drive too fast and in inferior cars aswell ... Nope Mastering engineers have invested years upon Years to accomplish what they do and trying to use a cheap plugin and calling it ”Mastering is a slap in the face to real Masterkng Engineers Period!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-22-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I sometimes use it as an automatable HPF for tracks that aren't crucial (i.e. reverb returns). Not to dump on EQIII, but there are much better options in 2021 which don't break the bank.
Yeah agree with you in that regard and usage for that eq but Mastering ... NOO

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-22-2021, 05:14 PM

Well damn. Guess there's no point to even demo'ing. But I tried it anyway. Threw it on the master buss & replicated the curve I made in EQIII. I have no idea if what I'm hearing is placebo effect after reading that it's supposed to be "cleaner." At first I thought I prefer it. Then I thought I prefer the original with EQIII because of the "dirt." Or maybe that's also placebo given Softube's price tag in the back of my mind. But again, I don't know if what I'm hearing is even real. lol

Or maybe I'd have to replace all the EQIII's in my session, as in making a cumulative difference?

Most I ever spent on an EQ plugin was Massey's dumb-simple EQ. I think it was a good buy because his ears are definitely better than mine and it's really hard to make that EQ sound bad.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
”Mastering is a slap in the face to real Masterkng Engineers Period!
Glad we agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Sure, all the Top Hits use Mastering Engineers – but we should try “the best we can” to do it ourselves – if only to compare our attempt with the Mastering Engineer’s superior version.
And surely our attempts help our understanding of Pro Tools!

Peace, Brother!
Old 01-22-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post

And surely our attempts help our understanding of Pro Tools!

Peace, Brother!
Doubt that as I happen to know and has nothing to do with learniig Pro Tools

Believe me the weiss plugins is nowhere in the same planet as the hardware! We know!

BTW Those Lang EQ’s are also amazing. .. would rather jump off a bridge than swap for an emulation of the real deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D353044D-91EF-439E-8403-0E87F07640F5.jpg (35.2 KB, 0 views)

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————