Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-11-1999, 04:18 PM

Default 64XTC, Hi-Fi VHS, no black burst.....

Like a true Gomer, I've misplaced my 64XTC manual. At home, all I have is:

Hi-Fi VHS (Consumer - no slave reference)
64XTC
882/20

I'm trying to load a guide track from CH1, and lay it down in sync to LTC on CH2.

It appears to load correctly, but I can't get it to play back without drifting. I seem to remember there being a setting on the 64XTC where it could reference the video ouptut of the VHS deck.

If anyone uses this setup with success, please advise how your hardware is set up, and the OMS settings, both for record & playback.

Thanks for ANY help! Opcode hasn't been any, and I've asked them 3 times. (But that's a whole other thread)

Also - Is it possible to hook up a printer through the 64XTC?

[This message has been edited by Farmer Dave (edited 10-11-99).]
Old 10-12-1999, 12:04 AM

Default Re: 64XTC, Hi-Fi VHS, no black burst.....

Here are the settings (from memory)...

You have to send the video signal to the S64XTC. There is a video input, and I think a loop through. In OMS Studio setup->Edit Programs, set sync source to SMPTE/Video. Also, for exact sync, you need to check the "digital phase lock" button. This will cause lockup time to be 7-10 seconds, but will be more exact. I usually use this setting for critical loading, like for work tracks, but set it off while working to video tape, because the lock-up time is much quicker with it off. You will also need to set you timecode frame rate in the SMPTE setups window. If you want the S64 to retain these settings next power-up, you have to tell it to "store current program" Hope this helps.

Bob
Old 10-12-1999, 12:52 AM

Thanks trakbytes! (Bob)

I'm guessing the Blackburst Video input doubles as the sync in for Blackburst, or Video Signal, but I don't see anything that could be a through. There's a Word Clock out, and a SuperClock out. If I'm missing something that can work as a through, please let me in on it.

As far as referencing video signal from the VHS goes, I get the loading audio setup, but on playback, do I leave the VHS on & video output plugged into the 64XTC? (I'm loading digital video, so once the picture is loaded, I'm not slaving to anything.) Playback has been my problem - drifting audio.

Thanks Again!

- David
Old 10-12-1999, 10:33 AM

Hi Dave,

If you are playing back to the tape (to check sync, for example) you can leave your setting the same as when you loaded it. However, if you are using digital video, you will need to set the S64 back to internal sync.

Bob