Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2017, 03:34 AM

Default Structure Free Drum Samples

I'm new to midi and VI's, but I've been using VI drums since I lost my rehersal space (I have nowhere to set them up.

I've tried the ones that came w/ PT, XPand 2, Boom and Structure Free, as well as the Free version of MDrummer. I'm having the same issues with all of these; the stock drum kits/samples (or whatever they're called) don't fit with the heavy rock I play. I'm stuck using them cuz I can't afford the good Drum VI's.

I'm posting this to ask if there are free drum sample packs (with atleast some rock kits) out there that are compatible with any of the programs I mentioned. I was flipping thru the Structure manual and it lists what "patches" are compatible, but I couldn't find anything when searching on Google. It's probably cuz I don't really know what I'm looking for.. the compatibility list in the manual may have well been written in Chinese.

I know you can create and load you own samples in Structure Free. The manual just mentions that you can load "audio files." So does that mean a .WAV file?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Structure Free Drum Samples

Maybe checkout Druminator from Audio Assault, it's currently on sale for $9 and the samples will work for metal and hard rock.
https://audio-assault.com/products/druminator

You could also try the Demo of BFD3
https://www.fxpansion.com/products/bfd3/

And Addictive Drums
https://www.xlnaudio.com/demos

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-15-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I'm new to midi and VI's, but I've been using VI drums since I lost my rehersal space (I have nowhere to set them up.

I've tried the ones that came w/ PT, XPand 2, Boom and Structure Free, as well as the Free version of MDrummer. I'm having the same issues with all of these; the stock drum kits/samples (or whatever they're called) don't fit with the heavy rock I play. I'm stuck using them cuz I can't afford the good Drum VI's.

I'm posting this to ask if there are free drum sample packs (with atleast some rock kits) out there that are compatible with any of the programs I mentioned. I was flipping thru the Structure manual and it lists what "patches" are compatible, but I couldn't find anything when searching on Google. It's probably cuz I don't really know what I'm looking for.. the compatibility list in the manual may have well been written in Chinese.

I know you can create and load you own samples in Structure Free. The manual just mentions that you can load "audio files." So does that mean a .WAV file?

Thanks.
Yes, you can load any WAV files into Structure, and assign them to whatever note you wish.

If you want some freebies, get hold of Computer Music Magazine. Each issue comes with a DVD attached, and on it every month they have tons of free audio samples, including lots of drum hits, kit parts, loops and the rest. Some are better than others, but, I've found lots of them to be quite useful.

Also, this website may have some samples you can use.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Maybe checkout Druminator from Audio Assault, it's currently on sale for $9 and the samples will work for metal and hard rock.
https://audio-assault.com/products/druminator

You could also try the Demo of BFD3
https://www.fxpansion.com/products/bfd3/

And Addictive Drums
https://www.xlnaudio.com/demos
Is Druminator just one kit? Does it have a mixer to adjust the levels of each drum (during tracking as well as mixing)? Also, can you add custom samples?

I found a couple sites with tons of free samples, as well as patches for Structure, which I think are full kits; I haven't has a chance to play around with 'em yet.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:58 PM

The developer of Druminator claims the samples are completely unprocessed, I would check that although I'm quite happy with Drummica. In any case downloading the demo and reading the manual should give you enough answers

Last edited by amagras; 10-15-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
The developer of Druminator claims the samples are completely unprocessed, I would check that although I'm quite happy with Drummica. In any case downloading the demo and reading the manual should give you enough answers
I just went ahead and bought Druminator. At $9 it's not like I'll be kicking myself if I don't like it. I emailed the developer cuz I couldn't find the manual; he told me it's because he hasn't gotten around to writing it yet!

I haven't had the chance to try it, that's on my list for this weekend. I think it only comes with one kit, but I bought it more for it's mixer and ability to accept custom samples.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:17 PM

Great. Looking forward to hear how do you like it.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Great. Looking forward to hear how do you like it.
I had time to mess around with it for about 30min this weekend. The mixer is really cramped and uniquely setup; not sure if that's good or bad. The lack of a manual makes it a bit tricky. I'm waiting for the developer to write me back so I can figure out how to load my own samples; the stock toms and crashes are weak.

Once I figure out the mixer and sample bits I think that I'll get some use out of it.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the report. Are you sure you aren't just hearing the raw samples and that's why they sound weak? I watched some demos by @benoni and all their stuff sounds terrific
Old 10-26-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the report. Are you sure you aren't just hearing the raw samples and that's why they sound weak? I watched some demos by @benoni and all their stuff sounds terrific
What do you mean by "just hearing the raw sample"?

I cycled thru, and played, all the preset kits...and then a second time with no effects. The toms sounded lame and the crashes were choppy and super fake when playing them as 1/8 notes and faster. 1/8 note would be hiting it on every beat when counting 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & ?

I liked all the other drums.