Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2002, 03:12 PM

Default Want to learn about Andy Wallace

Can anybody point me towards an article or two on Andy Wallace? All the rock albums I've bought recently have been mixed by him. I'm just interested in learning more about him. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Want to learn about Andy Wallace

there was a nice article in Tape Op about him. a couple issues ago? maybe on there web site you can figure it out...
tapeop.com
he may have been featured in the book, "Behind the Glass" - can't recall
Old 03-14-2002, 04:04 PM

Andy Wallace ROCKS!!!

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2002, 04:09 PM

Tape Op
Issue #25 (Sept/Oct '01)

Andy Wallace
Daniel Burton
Control Room Sound
Dave Royer
Trans Am
Meg Lee Chin
Norman Dayron
NY Hed Studios
Old 03-14-2002, 05:38 PM

Thanks, I was just listening to the System Of A Down record. Beautifully weird!
Old 03-25-2002, 08:43 AM

i just got around to checking out "Toxicity". wow! that really is quite an amazing job! haven't heard anything so well done in quite a while (if at all- i listened enough yet) great performances, recording, and the mixing [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
i think Rick Rubin recorded it.
is there some magic going on with Wallace? it's only recording that's grabbed my attention like this since At The Drive-In "Relationship..." and that was also Wallace. "Toxicity" is better- but probably because the singer is way better and so is the writing.
i'd like to know how those GTR's were recorded- holy crap! could be just a 57 on a cab, or maybe a little more to it? obviously skilled playing and appropriate instruments/amps were used. can anyone fill in the blanks? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2002, 10:05 AM

Yes Toxicity! I mentioned this record in another forum. Rick Rubin produced System Of A Down's Latest Album "Toxicity." Folks, if you want to hear some rock drums, check this record out. Wallace has mixed a lot of the topic rock records lately: Linkin Park, Disturbed, and the list goes on. However, albums like Linkin Park have tons of other electronic/hip-hop elements going on in them. There are the acoustic drums mixed with hip-hop drums from an akai, etc. I like that, but System's album Toxicity is pure up front in your face drums and guitars, nothing else going on. On some of the songs, there aren't even many vocal overdubs. I guess a good example of when less is more. The vocals are much more up front than say Linkin Park's record too. It's not just that one "Toxicity" song either, their first single "Chop Suey" and the rest of that record is fantastic. I'm not even a huge fan of their style and genre, but damn it sounds good right here! Get that album, throw on "Toxicity" during your next rock mix and sit there until you get your drums sounding like that!
Old 03-25-2002, 11:00 AM

sometimes, SOAD sounds like a heavy metal Oingo Boingo! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
the singer makes me think of the better elements of Eddie Vedder and Maynard (Tool) with a touch of Danny Elfman? what a mix!
i don't like most of the music that gets grouped into this recent genre. actually, they seem more like a more accessable evolution of some of the really underground punk/thrash from the eighties- like MDC, Septic Death, the Feeders... can't recall some of the others right now. unlike much of the spoon-fed radio hard-rock/alt. radio shiznit, it isn't the metal/rap crap, it isn't the pop-punk crap, it isn't grunge spawned. it's more mature and intelligent than these types. yet, the same large audience of mainly pre-adolescent boys will dig it. and look, it's making me angry and i'm ranting. i think i'm gonna lift some weights now. good stuff! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2002, 09:12 AM

Other great Andy Wallace records:

Jeff Buckley - Grace (produced this one as well)
Stereophonics - Just Enough Education To Perform

I'll assume everybody knows about Nirvana/Slayer/Rage Aginst The Machine/etc. Every time I hear an Andy Wallace mix I hang my head in shame.

Pete
Old 03-26-2002, 02:05 PM

Thanks Jules.