Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-19-2019, 08:14 AM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/show...3&postcount=79

Nice to know I'm not the only one with this thought. I've seen the same sentiment appear several times already since the news dropped. This is not the way to pick up new users starting their careers...
Old 06-19-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
Someone over on GS contacted Sweetwater and was informed that there is a cap of 3 renewals max
That would give you your 5 years though
Not entirely accurate. I just talked to Sweetwater; you can buy as many renewals as you want to ,but Avid will only register up to three (3) additional years. I was told you could actually save the codes for the additional renewals then when one expires, add that code to your account to extend you plan.

Not so sure it is worth the hassle but it is do-able.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post

Nice to know I'm not the only one with this thought. I've seen the same sentiment appear several times already since the news dropped. This is not the way to pick up new users starting their careers...
Exactly as I suspected. Only surprise is that Logic seems to reign more than Abelton / Cubase / Studio One. Avid should be very worried, but it is after all a problem largely of their own making.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-19-2019, 08:38 AM

I am sickened by Avid's BS more than ever before. Last winter I renewed my perpetual license support, against my better judgment. It took about 5 god damn months for PT2019 to appear.

You cannot keep acting in this pathetic way and expect people to keep accepting it.

Of course we will all do/pay what's needed to get work done. But for me personally, for what it's worth, the time has definitely come to stop renewing and stick with a version for a long long time. It won't stop me from working, and I can have the satisfaction of not being chained to the Avid VC-money-pit.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee62 View Post
I’ve been taking a good look a Studio One for the past few hours. Looks nice I’ll have to keep researching it. $399 gets you the goods huh. Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've been using Studio One for a few months. It's good. I don't like the audio editing as much as PT, and I'm not as familiar with their plugins, but the audio engine is rock solid. Totally outperforms PT!

Really the only reason I've been staying with PT is Studio One's bundled drum plugin doesn't sound as good as Xpand 2. So I've been using PT for drum programming.

I've been wanting to improve my programmed drum sounds, and I've been considering buying Superior Drummer, but I didn't want to pay the $399 for it. Seems like Avid has decided to push me that way though. Instead of paying $199/yr for PT and another $49/yr for the complete plugin bundle, I can buy Superior Drummer. I'm only behind $150 the first year, but after that I don't have to pay anymore unless I decide to upgrade.

And while we were waiting for 2019.5 to come out, S1 released 2 updates for free. The last upgrade had some really great new features. PT's paid update had virtually no new features.

I hate to do it because I love working in PT, but as a hobbyist who makes no money from this, I just can't justify the cost. Hopefully PT 2019.5 will continue to work for years with my perpetual license so I don't have to move all my sessions over to S1.

- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 06-19-2019, 09:17 AM

XPand 2 can be bought from plugin boutique for $15 and works with any DAW with VST or AU support (this happened because AIR Instruments was sold off by Avid.)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
Not entirely accurate. I just talked to Sweetwater; you can buy as many renewals as you want to ,but Avid will only register up to three (3) additional years. I was told you could actually save the codes for the additional renewals then when one expires, add that code to your account to extend you plan.

Not so sure it is worth the hassle but it is do-able.
Thanks for the clarity.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post

Everybody that I collaborate with use Logic. This is not a new thing either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-19-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post

FWIW the pricing model for subscriptions appears to be gouging to me, as another product that is an industry standard, Photoshop, can be had for 10.00 a month without surrendering an old CS license.
Agree. I've been on the $10 per month Adobe plan for a few years now, and have no complaints. I get the "industry standard" Photoshop + Lightroom for $10 a month. Very different scenario from Avid. For one, you can't just decide to start renting PT Complete for say $20-30 a month. You first have to pay $2599 for it or have already owned it. Also, if for some reason I decided to stop my Adobe plan, I could just pick it back up at any point. Thats not saying it will always be $10 a month, but I wouldn't be penalized for not using it for a bit. The same goes for every other subscription I'm aware of (Slate,McDSP,Kush,ect).

I've always said the only PT killer will be Avid, not another DAW. Thats not just because of the whacked out pricing structure, but their incredibly slow progress in getting with the times. I still much prefer PT workflow over the other DAW's I own, but I never recommend it to younger guy's who ask me what to buy. Mostly because it's a total money pit and I don't wish that on anybody. It's also been pretty buggy for years now.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Ummmmm haven’t you seen all those threads yearning for such a change? The site has been over run with them..... funny I can’t seem to find one at the moment but....but....
When Slate went to the suscription model, one of the arguments was that you could subscribe for just one month. Mix an album, then drop it. Mixing another album? Grab it for a month.

Where's the Avid alternative?

It's like they had Whitey Bulger think this thing up.