Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-19-2005, 01:34 AM

Default DIGI 002 & MIDI - HUGE problems...PLEASE help!!!!!

hey there, this will be a BIT of a read to gain you the insight of my problem...so i apologize for the lenghtiness in advance. Put on your seatbelts.

i'm running:

Mac G4 dual 1gig, 1 gig ram, 10.3.9 OSX

Pro Tools 6.4 w/ my Digi 002 rack.

i have a Roland TD-8 V-Drum kit, which i drum on to record my MIDI drums for my songs.

i have been doing this for quite some time now. no problems.

i never had a problem recording midi, as well as no problems with playback.

my V-DRUM brain IS the sound bank for the files.

i have a midi cables:

Digi002 OUT to V-Drums IN
V-Drums OUT to Digi002 IN

i also have two 1/4' cables running from the Master L&R OUTPUT on the V-DRUM brain to tracks 1 and 2 on the back of the DIGI 002.

that being said, everything DID work fine. i would record my drum parts and be able to hear them back and edit / change my midi drum parts, as well as freely change my drum sounds. no problem.

i had NO proper monitors or speakers...except some crappy cheap $10 type speakers.

however, in order to hear the midi drums play back WITH the pro tools session...i would have to plug a stereo 1/4" cable from the headphone jack out of the DIGI002, and into the 'MIX IN' 1/4" input on the V-DRUM brain, and THEN plug either my crappy speakers or headphones into the V-DRUM brain headphone 1/4" jack input. Through this chain, i would be able to hear everything fine and dandy.

NOW...onto the problem...

i recently bought a pair of Blue Sky Reference monitor speakers. they are hooked up properly, and have been working fine. the 2 balanced 1/4" to EXR cables i bought for it are plugged into the 'MONITOR L & R OUTPUT' on the back of the DIGI 002, which connect to the SUB woofer of the BLUE SKY speakers.

immediately after having this set up, i could no longer play back any of my midi drum tracks. i had to NOW start using an AUXILARY track in my sessions, in order to hear the midi drums play back.

(***FYI - NO cables audio / midi / anything between the DIGI 002 & V-DRUM where touched or altered.)

so, no prob. i have to now use AUXILARY tracks in order to hear my midi drum tracks with my mix all thru my Blue Sky speakers. no big deal.

however, when i tried to record any midi drums, either on a new session, or an existing session with or with out pre-existing midi drum tracks....it wouldn't let me record any midi drums.

the auxilary track shows a level when i hit the drums, and the sound is coming thru the Blue Sky speakers...however there is nothing recorded, nor any level whatsoever on the midi track i'm wanting to record to.

my inputs on the mid track is selected to 'all', and the output to 'predefined' digi 002, port 1 channel 10.

nothing was altered before, and it worked / recorded / played back perfectly.

now, that i have a good solid reference monitor speaker set up...it WON'T let me record any drums.

so after talking to the place i bought the digi 002, they suggested that there is a problem w/ quicktime 7.0.1 & 7.0.3 w/ protools 6.4 running on osx 10.3.9.

they suggested to go to quicktime 6.5.2, which i did. and still nothing.

in my audio midi setup, it won't let me connect my digi002 to my V-Drum brain...as the bottom of the digi 002 won't show any of those arrows, that you connect your other devices with.

so, basically i'm stuck and don't know what to do.

can ANYONE please help me out here...

i'd be so grateful!!!

thanks,

Richard