Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-20-2004, 05:56 PM

Default m box usb 2.0? maybe someday?

m box usb 2.0? maybe someday?
And if you had the current version would it be possible to do upgrade via software?
Or would we need a new yet inexpensive box.I want one so bad but am waiting.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:32 AM

Default Re: m box usb 2.0? maybe someday?

Hmm.

It works today!
What is the question?

MBox works on USB 1.1. It is designed (limited) in number of channels (2 in + 2out) and max sampling frequency (48KHz at 24 bit) to nicely fit inside the available bandwidth of USB 1.1.

You can connect an MBOX, as well as any other USB 1.1 peripheral,to a USB 2.0 bus and it should work without problems. (I use my MBox on a USB 2 channel all the time, since that is all there is on my laptop PC). This does however steal bandwidht of that specific bus line, in effect lowering the speed. (I could add a long technical discussion here, since very strictly speaking this is not fully true). But a decent PC should have several lines, and this degradation should only affect each line by itself, not other lines. This is the basic idea of the USB specification. Some PC-s might have a few problems due to errors or shortcuts in how the bus was implemented. Remember, don´t always believe what they say in the ads.

So go ahead, use the MBox on a USB2 connection. No problems as far as the MBox is concerned. It might "steal" bandwith from your USB2 hard disk or whatever, but the MBox should work. You could also buy a cheap extra USB card for your PC (I have one for my really old laptop that came without USB).

If you want more channels and or higher sample frequency the safe bet today is firewire. You can buy a firewire card for small money and mount it in your PC, I even have one for my next oldest laptop that came without it.

Gunnar.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Re: m box usb 2.0? maybe someday?

Thanks