Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-12-2019, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Advice on Genelec system

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
Thanks again. This is information I had been looking for and wish I had found a few months ago. I even made multiple calls do Dolby and never got a call back.
The .4 is going to be my biggest challenge I think.
example

Still under construction and already thinking I’m going to have to change something.
Looking good! I like the ceiling. The .4 is actually the easy part in my opinion. We did use short throw ceiling supports for that with our Genelec 8330´s. You need to make provision for AC power, Cat 5e/6 cables and AES 110 Omh cabling. Remember that one half of your ceiling speakers will have AES cabling x2, as AES cables run from one speaker to the other speaker in the opposite side of the ceiling. So it´s in & out.

I think that your main challenge in terms of positioning will be how to avoid the booth window glass for the side surrounds (assuming this will be a 7.1.4 of course). However, I might be wrong as I making an opinion out of a photo.

Here´s the link for the Genelec accessories catalogue:

https://www.genelec.com/sites/defaul...-bbage045g.pdf

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 10-12-2019, 05:58 PM

Currently, in a 7.1 set up, the sides are mounted horizontally.
Heres a render

Sourced the Genelec 8000-442B Short Adjustable ceiling mount for this with the T plate adapter which allows you to mount the speaker horizontally.

Anticipating adding more I had them install 2 runs of 1" conduit up each side and across the cloud. 1 for cat 6 and 1 for AES.

But yeah to your point if I go 7.1.4 I guess the sides would need to be floor level. I need to speak to Dolby about this.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
Currently, in a 7.1 set up, the sides are mounted horizontally.
Heres a render

Sourced the Genelec 8000-442B Short Adjustable ceiling mount for this with the T plate adapter which allows you to mount the speaker horizontally.

Anticipating adding more I had them install 2 runs of 1" conduit up each side and across the cloud. 1 for cat 6 and 1 for AES.

But yeah to your point if I go 7.1.4 I guess the sides would need to be floor level. I need to speak to Dolby about this.
Our sides are not floor level, as we have a booth window on one side and a normal window on the other. But they are lower than shown on you render. We have them tilted. Personally I thing floor level is better, to allow a better localisation difference from the ceiling speakers and also align with front kit, but not always feasible.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3