Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2009, 06:20 AM

Default Channels losing buss effects

Hi,

I set up a template that just has reverb, delay, chorus and a master volume fader. I open that and then just start adding tracks and going about business as usual. Twice out of two times now, after I do a "save a copy" command when I go back to the sessions, the reverb, delay, and chorus busses have no effect on the tracks they were put on. I've tried deleting the busses off those tracks and readding, but that doesn't seem to help. And every time I open the session after that, I can never get them to work. Anyone ever have this happen or know maybe how I could get them to work again?

Here's the process, as an example:
Open the template, save it as a different name on my external drive
Import a drum loop <save>
Record acoustic guitar plugged direct into my mbox2 mini <save>
Record bass track off my Yamaha kx-8 <save>
add the chorus and reverb busses and set levels on the acoustic guitar track <save>

Then I did a "save a copy" command.

I closed the session and reopened the copy - effects not working
opened the original and the effects weren't working there either even though on both the original session and the copy, the busses were still set - no muting on. The fader for the bussed effect just doesn't do anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian
iMac 2.93, 24in, 4g ram, ATI 4850, Glyph External
Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Channels losing buss effects

Is your I/O actually changing between "saves?"

Is the FX bus output set to the master fader? Is that changing between saves?
-Digi002
-ProTools 9
-OS 10.5.x
Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 AM

No changes to I/O, and no changes to the master fader at all between saves. As for the FX bus output being set to the master fader, that is something I will check when I get home tonight because I really don't know off the top of my head.

Thanks for the suggestion...

Brian
Old 07-23-2009, 07:39 AM

Hey Brian, try this method. Instead of opening your template session every time, create a new session on your audio drive with the new project name. The once it opens(with no tracks yet) go File>Import Session Data and select the template session. Option-click on any track and select import(the option key will select all). This will bring in everything exactly as it is in the template session.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcoonan View Post
Hi,

I set up a template that just has reverb, delay, chorus and a master volume fader. I open that and then just start adding tracks and going about business as usual. Twice out of two times now, after I do a "save a copy" command when I go back to the sessions, the reverb, delay, and chorus busses have no effect on the tracks they were put on. I've tried deleting the busses off those tracks and readding, but that doesn't seem to help. And every time I open the session after that, I can never get them to work. Anyone ever have this happen or know maybe how I could get them to work again?

Here's the process, as an example:
Open the template, save it as a different name on my external drive
Import a drum loop <save>
Record acoustic guitar plugged direct into my mbox2 mini <save>
Record bass track off my Yamaha kx-8 <save>
add the chorus and reverb busses and set levels on the acoustic guitar track <save>

Then I did a "save a copy" command.

I closed the session and reopened the copy - effects not working
opened the original and the effects weren't working there either even though on both the original session and the copy, the busses were still set - no muting on. The fader for the bussed effect just doesn't do anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian
iMac 2.93, 24in, 4g ram, ATI 4850, Glyph External
Do you possibly have any incompatible plug-ins installed, such as ones not on this list or not the minimum version listed?
Pro Tools Plug-in Compatibility Grid
Old 07-23-2009, 12:47 PM

Hi Digi -

Nope, all the plugs are good - this is a pretty new set up and I went through probably in the last 2 weeks or so and verified that all my plugs were up to the current versions (I suppose some could have changed in that time frame). The reverb, chorus, and delay, are all just plugs that came with pro-tools as well.

I did download a few, but ones that the info out here says are good - like the massey ones.

Everything else works fine - and it's only when I do that "save copy" that it starts doing this. If I don't do that and just use save, things are fine but then sometimes I lose that drum loop that I imported. Thought I read out here that to keep all the files in the same place, you should use the "Save copy" command, so that's what I've been doing.

Thanks for chiming in, appreciate it.

Brian
Old 07-23-2009, 05:38 PM

If the Massey plugins are acting odd, are they the free demo versions? Those don't remember any settings so I wonder what else they don't "remember".

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-24-2009, 06:10 AM

The Massey plugs I have ARE the free ones, but those aren't the ones that I'm using for verb, delay, and chorus - the ones that I'm using for those are just the ones that came with PTLE8.