Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2013, 08:03 PM

Default Missing Plug-In

I'm new to Pro Tools and plugins, so I'm reading my way through the user guides and playing with the features as I read about them. I'm on the plugin chapter about pitch shifting plugins, and it mentioned one called Pitch. I checked the introduction, and I should have it as part of my version of Pro Tools. I looked in the Finder, and it's there in the plugin folder, but it doesn't show as an option on either the Audiosuite or insert menu. How do I open it? I tried just double clicking but it disappeared into smoke; then I tried "open with" Pro Tools but that didn't do anything either.
Thanks in advance
M Bedrock
Old 05-19-2013, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Missing Plug-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedrocks View Post
I'm new to Pro Tools and plugins, so I'm reading my way through the user guides and playing with the features as I read about them. I'm on the plugin chapter about pitch shifting plugins, and it mentioned one called Pitch. I checked the introduction, and I should have it as part of my version of Pro Tools. I looked in the Finder, and it's there in the plugin folder, but it doesn't show as an option on either the Audiosuite or insert menu. How do I open it? I tried just double clicking but it disappeared into smoke; then I tried "open with" Pro Tools but that didn't do anything either.
Thanks in advance
M Bedrock
You need to provide some useful info here. Mac or PC? exact OS/version, exact Pro Tools version, etc. Read the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this page for an idea or the info typically needed. A screenshot of your audiosuite menu might be interesting.

Do other plugins appear to be listed and work OK?

What is the exact full path/filename of the pitch plugin you do see.

What are you exactly trying to do? Do you want a audiosuite or real-time plugin?

Precise clear details please.

Darryl
Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 PM

Sorry - thought I was being more clear than I was, and thanks for the fast reply. I have a Mac HD, OSX version 10.7.5; Pro Tools that came with an M Box version upgraded to 10.3.5. So far, all the other plugins that are supposed to be installed are there, and working just fine. This one is actually on my computer - I can see it in the plugins folder; but it doesn't show up in either the Audiosuite pop up menu or the insert menu. When I go to the Audiosuite menu under pitch shift plugins, I have Pitch Shift, Time Shift and Vari-Fi, but not Pitch. On the insert menu, under pitch shift plugins, only Air frequency shifter shows up - neither of the other three.

I'm trying this on a mono percussion track, with a virtual instrument. I did make an empty stereo audio track to see if that changed anything. When I do that, I get the same options in Audiosuite, and in multi-channel plugin options as an insert. There apparently is no multi-mono pitch shift plugin? None are listed.
Thanks again for any help.
M Bedrock
Old 05-19-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedrocks View Post
Sorry - thought I was being more clear than I was, and thanks for the fast reply. I have a Mac HD, OSX version 10.7.5; Pro Tools that came with an M Box version upgraded to 10.3.5. So far, all the other plugins that are supposed to be installed are there, and working just fine. This one is actually on my computer - I can see it in the plugins folder; but it doesn't show up in either the Audiosuite pop up menu or the insert menu. When I go to the Audiosuite menu under pitch shift plugins, I have Pitch Shift, Time Shift and Vari-Fi, but not Pitch. On the insert menu, under pitch shift plugins, only Air frequency shifter shows up - neither of the other three.

I'm trying this on a mono percussion track, with a virtual instrument. I did make an empty stereo audio track to see if that changed anything. When I do that, I get the same options in Audiosuite, and in multi-channel plugin options as an insert. There apparently is no multi-mono pitch shift plugin? None are listed.
Thanks again for any help.
M Bedrock
You still did not give the exact path and file name of the the plugin file you are talking about. Yes I know here are lots of files in the plugin folder, you also have multiple plugin folders. What exact filename, with full path are you talking about? You know something like /blah/foo/bar/filename.extension otherwise we still have *no* idea what file you are talking about.

Again we have no idea what you are actually trying to achieve. "Pitch Shift" may be the audiosuite plugin you need. Or if you are seriously wanting to play with this stuff you may want to focus on understanding all the capabilities of elastic audio.

You are likely referring to a TDM (Pro Tools HD) only plugin, what exact manual/version/page are you looking at?

Darryl
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 PM

And if you are literally referring to /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins/Pitch.dpm that is a TDM only plugin. You need HD/TDM hardware to run that, which I doubt you have. Hopefully that should have been obvious from whatever you were reading in the manual.

And again, if you explain as clearly as possible what you are trying to do artistically/creatively folks here can try to help you.

Darryl
Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 PM

Thanks Darryl - That is the plugin I'm talking about. I'm not running HD software so I guess that's the issue (although I do hope to upgrade some day). I didn't quite get it when I read that part that TDM plugins were only for HD. It does say in the plugin guide that Pitch is available in TDM and Audiosuite formats and that it's installed on Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD - but I'm assuming the Audiosuite version is also HD only?

I'm not really trying to do anything specific with it - when I first got Pro Tools and tried to play around with it, I was continually frustrated by wanting to do xyz and not having a clue how to do it, so I'm literally going through the entire user guide (all 1200 pages) with some little scratch sessions I cooked up and trying out each function as I learn about it. (it's taking awhile but well worth it).

I got to the chapter on processing and it said for more info on plugins see the plugins guide, so I took a little side trip and am opening up every plugin I'm supposed to have and playing around with it a little. Just couldn't figure out why this one didn't seem to be available.
Thanks for your help and the super fast replies.