Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 04-21-2002, 03:52 PM

Default Can\'t DeAuthorize Plugins. . .

I've got a buggy sound card driver that I can't seem to remove and have resorted to formatting/ rebuilding my system drive. Now I can't DeAuthorize any plugins (Dverb, d3, Maxim, etc. . ). I run the DeAuthorizer programs, it shows the "key" on my system drive, asks for the floppy for that plug, and then gives me the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) after I load the floppy. After doing this once, none of the DeAuthorizer programs work and Protools will not load. Fortunately, after removing Protools/Digi System files, reinstalling PT and restarting, I can use PT (and the plugs). I'm back at square one, but I seem to remember that if I reformat the drive that I will only need to "verify" the authorizations (without using a count) with the original key disks. Is this true?

p.s. using PT 5.0.1 on NT, SP4
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 04-21-2002, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Can\'t DeAuthorize Plugins. . .

You should probably get in touch with Digidesign about this. Concerning your question:

"... but I seem to remember that if I reformat the drive that I will only need to "verify" the authorizations (without using a count) with the original key disks...."

My understanding is that one only needs to 'verify' when re-installing the software. If you really formatted the drive, I am sad to say that you might have erased the count, and perhaps should have un-installed the 'counts' first.

The plug-ins usually come with an extra installer disk for just such emergencies. While you wait to see how to fix this, those might work.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:55 PM

I'm glad to say, yes!

I just reformatted and forgot to de-authorize before I did it, only 2 days ago.

To my pleasant surprise, the plugin did indeed authorize.
Old 04-25-2002, 04:28 PM

Along somewhat the same lines. Why is it that about every month or so, Protools ask to reauthorize my plug-ins.? It will do this while trying to open a session. If I've already authorized it from the install date, then why does it ask for the authorization keys every month or so?
Old 04-25-2002, 10:43 PM

It happens to me too, though less often than that. I don't think Protools is asking, I think it is the protection software scheme used by the individual software suppliers that asks. I seem to remember that it happens when I make some sort of system change (like installing new software, or re-organizing directories, etc.). Perhaps the protection software has a bug (or design) that reads any one of certain events as an attempt to fool it. I like the stuff that Sibelius uses better: it allows transfer without a disk, and hasn't interfered at all in operation for over a year.