Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2008, 07:19 PM

Default Upgrade (Somewhat)

So I have a G4 533, 1 gig of RAM running with a DIGI 001.

I sequence MIDI a lot, as well as record audio (Vox, overdubs, etc.)

I am upgrading my entire rig in about 3-6 months, and I will get a new computer, interface (Good Quality), etc.

For now, I want to get either an MBOX or one of the M-Audio interfaces, really just to get "up-to-speed" on all the cool new features available in the latest release of PT. I do need to have 2 XLR ins and SPDIF at a minimum.

Anybody running the latest OS from Apple, and either an MBOX or one of the M-Audio pieces with the latest version of Pro Tools on a box similar to a G4 533 with about a gig of RAM?

Any thoughts, opinions, etc. are very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Upgrade (Somewhat)

Quote:

I am upgrading my entire rig in about 3-6 months, and I will get a new computer, interface (Good Quality), etc.

For now, I want to get either an MBOX or one of the M-Audio interfaces, really just to get "up-to-speed" on all the cool new features available in the latest release of PT. I do need to have 2 XLR ins and SPDIF at a minimum.

Anybody running the latest OS from Apple, and either an MBOX or one of the M-Audio pieces with the latest version of Pro Tools on a box similar to a G4 533 with about a gig of RAM?

Any thoughts, opinions, etc. are very much appreciated.

Thanks!
First off, OS X 10.5 needs at least an 867Mhz G4. So, that right there won't work. 10.4 would probably work......

I was running a G4 933 for a while, then upgraded it to a dual 1.8 G4. It was never very stable, and it was loud. Virtual instruments could hardly be run on it (1, maybe 2 GPO instruments on 933, 5 or 6 with dual 1.8 g4s). Recording audio, it was ok. Never figured out how many I could do, but play back I could get about 10 stereo tracks or so happening with dual 1.8 g4s. This was all with 10.4.

Basically, if you want to just do midi, you could. I was running Digital Performer on the g4. Worked fine. For digital audio, your probably going to be dead in the water if you want to use any plugins or anything. For just recording stuff, it might work. But you really should upgrade your system and your audio interface at the same time to avoid frustration. I mean, if you got a Fast Track Ultra and tried to record 2 tracks at 96Khz and you couldn't because your Mac doesn't have USB2 and using USB1 on it knocks it down to 2 tracks of 48 or something......that would be frustrating.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:32 AM

I have an acer TravelMate 2430. It's a 1.5 gig celeron with half a gig of ram in it, running Windows XP.

Would I get anywhere using this laptop with a M-Powered system or MBOX?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:33 AM

I have an acer TravelMate 2430. It's a 1.5 gig celeron with half a gig of ram in it, running Windows XP.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Basic audio recording, yes. Mixing and plugins, no. You might want to check digidesign.com though to be sure.

1.5Gigahertz Celeron is like what, 6 years old? Older? You really ought to get a better system. Though this is the Mac area......a PC that would blow the socks off that 1.5Ghz Celeron can be bought for like $400 or so.

Though a MacBook or MacBook Pro would be a better choice.......no Windows ;-)
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I was non-stop studio editing and recording and then I got hooked up doing location sound, and I just couldn't pass up the money. Now that I'm getting back into my studio writing, editing and mixing, I'm realizing that I need to do a serious upgrade.

I really appreciate all the answers!!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 AM

Celerons have a really bad reputation with Pro Tools. Always check the compatibility and use what's compatible or have been tested on the DUC. It's not just that you'll get lower track count if you don't, in worst case scenario Pro Tools won't even work.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigam View Post

HI,

I would say: get more RAM, Tiger and a used MBox 1. Don´t waste to much money here!

If you can wait, I´d rather say: save your money to spent on more important things that an interim solution.

best