Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 04-04-2010, 07:08 AM

Default Kick drums...HELP !!!

Hello,my name is Eric.
I would love to know what is the best way to make my own kick-drum from scratch.I don`t want to use samples of other people,I want to synthsize from the ground up with the help of a software based program.What is the best way to do that ? What is the best software to buy.(I run P-Tools M-Powered on Vista 32 bit 2.66Ghz dual-core).
Is there a program for sale to do such a thing ?

Any good advice would be much appreciated !

(Excuse my English,I`m Dutch!).
Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Kick drums...HELP !!!

There are no rules when it comes to recording, but there are some guidelines. First thing first---MAKE SURE THE DRUM IS TUNED RIGHT! After that, make sure to play with your choice of and location of the microphones. Too many times I see those that just pick a microphone and throw it on the kick, hit record, and fix it later. The mic-pre you have also has a big impact. Personally, I use a Blue Mouse on the outside of the kick about 3ft out mixed in with an Audix D6 right inside the kick. I do have the front head completely off. My kick is a 20" Premier Signia Maple, great tone and it's tuned right with good heads. I have both the MOUSE and D6 going through a Focusrite ISA828.....but even something like a D6 or the typical D112 through a typical pre, you can get good results. The more experience you learn, the better gear you obtain, and more you develop your ears....you'll know just by knowing. What I mean is that based on what is before me, I can nearly predict the results just from years of experience.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:35 AM

OH WAIT---you said to MAKE, I thought you wrote MIC. LOL I'll leave what I wrote up anyway---sorry :)
Old 04-04-2010, 08:29 AM

heya!

The first thing to do if you want to make your own Kick Drum sound is to start with a White Noise.
You first need to create an AUDIO track with some white noise on it, it doesn't need to last forever only a couple of second as you want a percussion sound, you only gonna need a fraction of it.

Let's say 1/32 note length.
Duplicate it on the grid to have the sound on each 1/4 note beat.Create that pattern on 4 bars and create a loop.

If you play it now it shouldn't be very interesting (it sounds like a broken walkie talkie!)

Now create at least two aux tracks with the same input (let's say bus 1) and set your white noise OUTPUT (not a Send!) to bus 1 aswell.

Solo the White noise audio track and the first Aux track we're gonna rename:Low Boom.

Now it's fun time....
Insert Digidesign Eq 7 on the Aux track.
Apply a Hipass filter around 40hz with a Max Slope (-18dB/oct)
Apply a Low pass filter around 100Hz Max Slope aswell.
Apply a very narrow Q Eq in between the filters .You can add quite a bit of gain in this band as you suppressed a lot of material with the filters.
Now you have to tweak to find the "boomyness" you look for.

Do almost the same procedure on the second aux track we're gonna rename "skin" to get that "hammer-on-the-skin" sound obviously the settings will be higher for both filters and one band.

You really must try different settings and mix between your too Aux tracks.

Have fun
DIY Intel Core 2 Quad, P5B Premium,DDR2 6GB, Win 7 Ultimate.
PTLE 8.0.4
002R Unit and MBox Mini
SSL XLogic Alpha Channel.
SPL Goldmike valve Preamp.
DBX Analog Compressors, Gate and Eq.
Monster Cables
Home made & Neutrik Patchbay.
Brauner, Shure, Seinnheiser and T.Bone mikes.
Tannoy 8D Active monitors.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:11 PM

You could use the Arturia 2600V. Depeche mode have been making drum kits with a 2600 for years. Daniel Miller programmed some nice kick drums on the first album "Speak and Spell". However it's not a beginners synth. I have it but haven't yet made any drum kits with it yet.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 AM

Open up structure free. The thing that says sine wave, click all the little buttons on that panel. You should be able to find a drum set in structure free. I run pro tools LE.

Oh and BTW, If you need windows XP 64, I can send you an activated version for 10 dollars if you'd like.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBlight View Post
Open up structure free. The thing that says sine wave, click all the little buttons on that panel. You should be able to find a drum set in structure free. I run pro tools LE.

Oh and BTW, If you need windows XP 64, I can send you an activated version for 10 dollars if you'd like.
*pppffff*

Structure Free is also recomended. There are lots of user patches available from the AIR users blog. But this isn't what he asked for....is it? He wants to program kicks from scratch.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 04-05-2010, 01:56 PM

I also have a lot of sounds that I would like to ask how to make... I think I'm gonna start using some onamonapeeya...

just kidding I just want to remake "Running" by Chase & Status.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 AM

I once learnt exactly how to make a kick and snare drum when I was at college using a synth, I can't remember exactly know but I have it wrote down, when I go back to uni I will look and write it here.

I can remember that a snare used some white noise which acted as the snare on the bottom of the drum. The kick was made from, I think, sine waves and square waves.